Pete Seeger American Favorite Ballads, Volume 2 
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 23, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
- 1.Barbara Allen
- 2.Young Man Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn
- 3.Midnight Special
- 4.House of the Rising Sun
- 5.Careless Love
- 6.Oh, What a Beautiful City
- 7.Poor Boy
- 8.Sally Ann
- 9.The Riddle Song
- 10.Go Tell Aunt Rhody
- 11.The Water Is Wide
- 12.The Fox
- 13.The Keeper and the Doe
- 14.Pretty Polly
- 15.Jesse James
- 17.Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair
- 18.Camptown Races
- 19.Blow the Man Down
- 20.Froggie Went A-Courtin'
- 21.I Had a Rooster (Barnyard Song) - (Barnyard Song)
- 22.Putting on the Style
- 23.The Farmer's Curst Wife
- 24.Hard Travelin'
- 25.Alabama Bound
- 27.Dink's Song
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Pete Seeger (vocals, 12-string guitar, banjo).
Producer: Moses Asch.
Compilation producers: Jeff Place, Guy Logsdon.
Recorded between 1954 and 1961. Includes liner notes by Jeff Place,
This is part of Smithsonian Folkways "American Favorite Ballads" series.
Personnel: Pete Seeger (vocals, guitar, 12-string guitar, banjo).
Liner Note Authors: Guy Logsdon; Jeff Place; Pete Seeger ; Ralph Rinzler.
Editors: Peter Seitel; Carla Borden.
Arrangers: Jean-Jacques Rousseau ; Huddie Ledbetter; Bess Lomax; John A. Lomax; John Jacob Niles; Marion Hicks.
Similar to the 2002 "reissue" of Smithsonian Folkways' American Favorite Ballads, Vol. 1, the second volume is not a straight re-release of the 1959 Folkways LP, but it is part of a newer five-disc series incorporating not only Pete Seeger's American Favorite Ballads albums, but also tracks from similar Seeger projects from that era, like his American Ballads and Frontier Ballads albums. Regardless of where the source material came from, the resulting CD is a work of its own. Containing 27 of the story-songs that have become best known in coffeehouses and nurseries across the English-speaking world, the album presents the tracks in a stark, barebones manner with Seeger's warm cradling voice in the forefront, accompanied usually by his banjo or guitar, but occasionally completely a cappella. Familiar tunes like "Barbara Allen," "Jesse James," "Pretty Polly," and "House of the Rising Sun" are all represented, as is a startlingly beautiful reading of "Poor Boy" and a rare solo rendition of "Wimoweh." Seeger's passion for keeping the folk tradition alive never gets too academic, and his genuine love of passing these songs on to new generations is infectious. This series is a must-own for parents, historians, and fans of folk music. ~ Zac Johnson
Pete SeegerAmerican Favorite Ballads, Vols. 1-5 (5-CD Box Set)
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)(2)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE