Pete Seeger America's Favorite Ballads, Volume 3
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 27, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Gypsy Davy
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Deep Blue Sea
- $0.99 on iTunes3.New River Train
- $0.99 on iTunes4.St. James Hospital
- $0.99 on iTunes5.E-RI-E Canal
- $0.99 on iTunes6.St. Louis Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Boll Weevil
- $0.99 on iTunes8.The Girl I Left Behind
- $0.99 on iTunes9.When I First Came to This Land
- $0.99 on iTunes10.The Titanic
- $0.99 on iTunes11.El-A-Noy
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Lady of Carlysle
- $0.99 on iTunes13.My Good Man
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Golden Vanity
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Ain't It a Shame
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Swanee River
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child
- $0.99 on iTunes18.The Boys From County Mayo
- $0.99 on iTunes19.No Irish Need Apply
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Paddy Works On the Railroad
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Arkansas Traveler
- $0.99 on iTunes22.When I Was Single
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Wond'rous Love
- $0.99 on iTunes24.Ground Hog
- $0.99 on iTunes25.Old Blue
- $0.99 on iTunes26.She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain
- $0.99 on iTunes27.Erie Canal
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Pete Seeger (vocals, 12-string guitar, banjo); Pete Seeger (guitar).
Liner Note Authors: Jeff Place; Guy Logsdon.
Recording information: 1954-1962.
Translator: Oscar Brand.
Once upon a time, the term "ballad" didn't mean slow and weepy, it just meant the song told a story. Pete Seeger doesn't strictly adhere to that definition on this set of great, well-known songs. Then again, it has never been Seeger's nature to adhere to any particular musical definition. He's been blurring the lines between folk music, pop music, and, yes, classic and current ballads, as early as his work in the Almanac Singers during the late 40s with Woody Guthrie. Not strictly folk, "St. Louis Blues" and "Swanee River" are composed tunes with known authors. Not strictly balladic, "New River Train" doesn't really tell a story, nor does the instrumental "The Girl I Left Behind." Songs like "She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain," "Arkansas Traveler," "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" and "Boll Weevil" flow as an undercurrent through American popular culture, informing the musical gestalt. Here Seeger plays and performs solo, with a great deal of brio and stripped-down simplicity in both his banjo and voice. The collection sounds like something recorded by a song-catcher, sketches of tunes recorded on the run. However, not a note is sour, not a lyric is missed, making the album not so much documentary as document.
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD) Bestseller
$2.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD) Bestseller
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Songs and Dances of Medieval and Renaissance Times (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Impressions Singles Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Roy Orbison Only The Lonely (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE