John Cage 49 Waltzes For The 5 Boroughs
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by John Cage ~ From Zero: Four Films On John Cage By Frank Scheffer & Andrew Culver ~ $29.09
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Mode
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Stereo 2.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Additional Audio Material: Audio Realization by Director Don Gillespie of Waltz IX from 1979
- Interactive Features:
- Additional Interactive Features:
- Interactive Maps
- Additional Text: Liner Notes - Don Gillespie, Director
- Booklet - Booklet Including the Complete List of Locations in the Score
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Directed by||Don Gillespie|
|Composition by||John Cage|
In its original incarnation, John Cage's enigmatic 49 WALTZES FOR THE 5 BOROUGHS offers no hints as to how it might be performed; the "score," such as it is, consists only of 49 triangles drawn on a map of New York City. The points and lines, selected by chance, do not indicate notes or rhythms, but rather invite listeners to consider the sounds and textures that exist naturally in the city. This video realization of the piece accepts the challenge: director Don Gillespie ventures to every point on Cage's map and capture the music--car sirens, birds singing, people talking--that exists naturally along the way. The finished project combines sounds from 147 locations into an intriguing, nostalgic rumination on the diverse vibrations of urban life.
Description by Koch Entertainment Distribution:
Originally created as an invitation by Rolling Stone magazine in 1977, as part of a gala issue celebrating the magazine's move from San Francisco to New York, which featured literary and art contributors honoring its new home. Cage constructed his waltzes as a series of 49 multi-colored triangles superimposed on the Hagstrom map of New York City, each point derived by the use of chance operations. Wanting to celebrate Cage's memory, Don Gillespie decided to collect the sights and sounds from the locations specified in "49 Waltzes." This ambitious project of filming Cage's 147 specific locations in New York's five boroughs took one year to complete.
The Seasons / Leng Tan, Russell Davies, et al (CD)
Recital From The Theatre Des Champs-Elysees, Paris (DVD)
$14.57 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up...
$1.98 on SALE