Woody Guthrie Woody Guthrie Sings Folk Songs
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Woody Guthrie ~ The Asch Recordings, Volume 1: This Land Is Your Land ~ $15.28
- by Woody Guthrie ~ The Asch Recordings, Volumes 1-4 (4-CD Box Set) ~ $44.98
- by Pete Seeger ~ Pete Seeger's Greatest Hits  ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Woody Guthrie ~ Songs to Grow on for Mother and Child ~ $14.81
- by Woody Guthrie ~ Struggle ~ $15.28
- Released: November 15, 1989
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
- 1.Hard Travelin'
- 2.What Did the Deep Blue Sea Say
- 3.The Rising Sun Blues
- 4.Nine Hundred Miles - (TRUE instrumental)
- 5.John Henry
- 6.Oregon Trail
- 7.We Shall Be Free
- 8.Dirty Overhalls
- 9.Jackhammer Blues
- 10.Springfield Mountain
- 11.Brown Eyes
- 12.The Boll Weevil Blues
- 13.Guitar Blues - (TRUE instrumental)
- 14.Will You Miss Me?
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Cisco Houston.
Personnel: Woody Guthrie (vocals, guitar, fiddle, harmonica); Cisco Houston (guitar).
Liner Note Author: Pete Seeger .
Unknown Contributor Roles: Lead Belly; Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee.
The title WOODY GUTHRIE SINGS FOLK SONGS may seem self-evident, but remember, unlike most folk singers of his generation, Guthrie was known primarily as a songwriter. That makes this collection of traditional folk songs, which was originally released in 1962 (just after Guthrie's death) a somewhat rare item--Guthrie as interpreter, not instigator.
The songs are a varied lot, from "The Rising Sun Blues," a version of the chestnut "House of the Rising Sun"; to story songs like "John Henry," featuring vocals by Cisco Houston; and "The Boll Weevil." Though they were recorded at various points in Guthrie's long and productive career, all 14 tracks are so stylistically assured and thoughtfully performed that they sound like they could have been recorded at one session. In addition to the contributions from Houston, Guthrie's friend and mentor Leadbelly appears on a couple of tracks.
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Down the Tracks: The Music That Influenced Bob Dylan (DVD)(3)
$4.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)(2)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!