Woody Guthrie The Asch Recordings, Volume 4: Buffalo Skinners
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- Released: April 20, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
Q - 7/99, p.1404 stars out of 5 - "...Exquisitely packaged and eternally enriching..."
- 1.Ranger's Command
- 2.Buffalo Skinners
- 3.Billy The Kid
- 4.Cowboy Waltz
- 5.Pretty Boy Floyd
- 6.Along In The Sun And The Rain
- 7.Whoopie Ti-Yi-Yo, Get Along Little Dogies
- 8.Froggie Went A-Courtin'
- 9.Buffalo Gals
- 10.I Ride An Old Paint
- 11.Dead Or Alive (Poor Lazarus)
- 12.Slipknot (Hangknot, Slipknot)
- 13.Cocaine Blues
- 14.Go Tell Aunt Rhody
- 15.Chisholm Trail
- 17.Wild Cyclone
- 18.Train Blues
- 19.Red River Valley
- 20.Fastest Of Ponies
- 22.Snow Deer
- 23.When The Curfew Blows (Curfew Blow)
- 24.Little Darling (At My Window Sad And Lonely)
- 25.Blowing Down That Old Dusty Road (Going Down The Road Feelin' Bad)
- 26.Return Of Rocky Mountain Slim And Desert Rat Shorty
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Woody Guthrie, Cisco Houston (vocals, guitar).
Producer: Moses Asch.
Compilation producers: Jeff Place, Guy Logsdon.
Recorded in New York, New York between 1944 and 1949. Includes liner notes by Jeff Place and Guy Logsdon.
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
Liner Note Authors: Guy Logsdon; Jeff Place.
Recording information: 1944-1949.
Moses Asch, founder of Folkways Records and a tireless preserver of traditional folk idioms and performers, treated even his studio sessions like field recordings, neither adding to nor taking from the songs as his performers chose to play them. Performed mostly solo (though Cisco Houston occasionally appears on guitar and backing vocals), these tracks range from the allegorical kiddie song "Froggie Went a-Courtin'," complete with the bloody conclusion often removed from sanitized versions, to work songs and cowboy tunes, with special emphasis placed on biographical tunes like "Billy the Kid" and Guthrie's own gangster saga "Pretty Boy Floyd." By the time these recordings were made in a New York studio in the late '40s, Woody Guthrie was nearing the end of his public career due to failing health, but he performs these 26 traditional folk and blues ballads and story songs with his characteristic dry wit and unerring gift for interpretation.
Woody GuthrieThe Asch Recordings, Volume 1: This Land Is Your Land
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE