Woody Guthrie The Asch Recordings, Volume 3: Hard Travelin'
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 19, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Smithsonian Folkways
- 1.Hard Travelin' - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 2.Farmer-Labor Train
- 4.Ship in the Sky
- 5.I Ain't Got No Home
- 6.Mean Talking Blues - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 7.Better World A-Comin'
- 8.Miss Pavlichenko
- 9.So Long (It's Been Good to Know Yuh) - (WWII version)
- 10.New Found Land
- 11.Oregon Trail
- 12.Vigilante Man
- 13.1913 Massacre
- 14.Talking Columbia
- 15.Two Good Men
- 16.Sally Don't You Grieve
- 17.Talking Sailor Blues
- 18.What Are We Waiting On?
- 19.Railroad Blues
- 20.Ludlow Massacre
- 21.Ladies Auxiliary - (previously unreleased)
- 22.Miner's Song
- 23.When the Yanks Go Marching In
- 24.Union Maid - (previously unreleased, excerpt)
- 25.Rubaiyat - (previously unreleased, excerpt)
- 26.Many and the Few, The - (previously unreleased)
- 27.Hanukkah Dance - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Also available as part of a box set on Folkways (40112).
Compilation producers: Jeff Place, Guy Logsdon.
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
Personnel: Woody Guthrie (vocals, mandolin, harmonica); Cisco Houston (guitar); Pete Seeter (banjo); Sonny Terry (harmonica).
Liner Note Authors: Guy Logsdon; Jeff Place.
Recording information: New York, NY (1944-1949).
Photographer: Arthur Rothstein.
Unknown Contributor Role: Lee Hays.
HARD TRAVELIN' is the third installment of Smithsonian Folkway's four-volume Woody Guthrie anthology. The anthology, made up entirely of recordings produced by the legendary Moses Asch, constitutes the definitive collection of Guthrie's work. Each disc focuses on a particular theme; HARD TRAVELIN' primarily contains songs with political and social themes. Among Guthrie's many talents was the gift for presenting leftist ideals as good old American common sense. A natural idealism and a wicked sense of humor both served Guthrie well in this regard, as this set amply demonstrates.
HARD TRAVELIN' features some of Guthrie's better-known songs, among them "I Ain't Got No Home" and "So Long, It's Been Good To Know You." The disc should serve as an eye-opener for casual Guthrie fans, revealing a treasure trove of obscure numbers of equal quality to Guthrie's famous numbers. Also included are a few true oddities, among them a song about the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam and two Hanukkah songs (Guthrie, a Baptist, grew interested in Judaism after marrying a Jewish dancer). Those seeking a single disc including the greatest number of Guthrie hits, coincidentally, should consider the first volume in the anthology, THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND.
Woody GuthrieThe Asch Recordings, Volume 1: This Land Is Your Land
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Down the Tracks: The Music That Influenced Bob Dylan (DVD)(3)
$4.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)(2)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE