Joan Baez Live at Newport
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$16.18 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 17, 1996
- Label: Vanguard Records
- 1.Farewell Angelina - (previously unreleased)
- 2.Long Black Veil - (previously unreleased)
- 3.Wild Mountain Thyme - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Come All Ye Fair and Tender Maidens - (previously unreleased)
- 5.Lonesome Valley - (previously unreleased)
- 6.Hush Little Baby - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Te Ador / Te Manha
- 8.All My Trials - (previously unreleased)
- 9.It's All Over Now Baby Blue - (previously unreleased)
- 10.Unquiet Grave - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Oh Freedom
- 12.Satisfied Mind - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Fennario - (previously unreleased)
- 14.Don't Think Twice It's Alright - (previously unreleased)
- 15.Johnny Cuckoo - (previously unreleased)
- 16.It Ain't Me Babe - (previously unreleased)
- 17.With God on Our Side
Personnel includes: Joan Baez, Bob Dylan (vocals, guitar); Mary Travers, Peter Yarrow (vocals); Everett Lilly (bass); Lilly
Recorded live at the 1963, 1964 & 1965 Newport Folk Festivals, Newport, Rhode Island. Includes liner notes by Charles J. Fuss.
Personnel: Joan Baez (vocals).
Audio Mixer: Captain Jeff Zaraya.
Recording information: Newport Folk Festivals (1963-1965).
Photographers: David Gahr; Diana Davies; John Cooke.
Arranger: Joan Baez.
This album draws tracks from Joan Baez's appearances at the 1963, 1964, and 1965 Newport Folk Festivals, a time period in which she was the very epicenter of the folk scene. With her clear, strong, and bell-like soprano, Baez brought together traditional-folk materials with some of the best songs of the then-emerging songwriters of the so-called folk revival (she was the introduction for many to the work of Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, Richard Fari¤a, and others), projecting a thematic unity between the old and the new that was instrumental in the success of the 1960s folk boom. This collection isn't quite as striking as her other live albums from this period, although only by degree, and there are several interesting tracks here, including the opener, a live version of Dylan's beautiful "Farewell Angelina," which seems almost written for (or about?) Baez. A duet with Mary Travers on "Lonesome Valley" is another highlight, as is an audience singalong on "Johnny Cuckoo." The final two tracks, "It Ain't Me Babe" and "With God on Our Side," are duets with Dylan, and while these performances may have strong historical value, the truth is that Baez and Dylan didn't sing well together at this point in their association, with both singers dragging the song in two different directions at once, almost as if it were a battle for dominance, which, time suggests, it may well have been. ~ Steve Leggett
Woodstock: 40th Anniversary Director's Cut (2-DVD)
$21.63 CYBER SALE
Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More... (CD)
$24.66 CYBER SALE
1970 Isle of Wight Festival: Message To Love (DVD)
$7.83 CYBER SALE
Festival of Acoustic Music - Greek Theater, U.C. Berkeley (CD)
$10.56 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)
$2.38 CYBER SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE