Joan Baez Original Master Series, Volume 2
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 14, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Vanguard Records
- 1.Wagoner's Lad
- 2.The Trees They Do Grow High
- 3.The Lily of the West
- 5.Engine 143
- 6.Once I Knew a Pretty Girl
- 7.Lonesome Road
- 8.Banks of the Ohio
- 9.Pal of Mine
- 10.Barbara Allen
- 11.The Cherry Tree Carol
- 12.Old Blue
- 13.Railroad Boy
- 14.Plaisir d'Amour
- 15.I Once Loved a Boy - (previously unreleased)
- 16.Poor Boy - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Longest Train I Ever Saw - (previously unreleased)
The 2001 remastered edition of Joan Baez's second LP features 3 bonus tracks and new cover art as well as a replica of the original cover and liner notes.
Personnel: Joan Baez (vocals, guitar); The Greenbriar Boys.
Producer: Maynard Solomon.
Reissue producer: Mark Spector.
Originally released on Vanguard (2097). Includes original liner notes by Nat Hentoff and reissue liner notes by Arthur Levy.
Digitally remastered by Jeff Zaraya.
This is part of Vanguard's Original Master series.
Personnel: Joan Baez (vocals, guitar).
Liner Note Authors: Nat Hentoff; Arthur Levy .
Arranger: Joan Baez.
For her second album, 1961's VOLUME 2, Joan Baez stuck to the traditional folk of her debut, but moved away from that album's solo guitar-and-voice arrangements. Most of VOLUME 2 features instrumental backing from the great bluegrass group the Greenbriar Boys, making the album much more exciting and musically interesting than the somewhat wan debut. The song selection sticks largely to familiar folk favorites like "Barbara Allen," "Wagoner's Lad" and "The Trees They Do Go High," although the Leadbelly-styled "Silkie" and the French-language "Plaisir d'Amour" open things up a bit. Baez's voice was a moderately limited instrument in this stage of her career, with little of the range she would later develop, but it's resonant and clear, and the simple arrangements do much to showcase it. A fine example of folk from the early '60s college revival.
1970 Isle of Wight Festival: Message To Love (DVD)(67)
$9.03 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE