Joan Baez Baptism [Bonus Tracks]
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 30, 2003
- Label: Vanguard Records
Rolling Stone - 10/12/68, p.29"...BAPTISM is an intriguing collection of poetry and prose sung and spoken by Miss Baez. It is also an intensely personal vision communicated through a legacy of shared insights spanning several centuries..."
Spirituality & Health (Vol. 7, No. 2, p.68) - ?Rarely has a voice in American pop music rung with such a lastingly moral tone.?
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1304 stars out of 5 - "[I]ntriguing, arty, angry, experimental..."
- 1.Old Welsh Song
- 2.I Saw the Vision of Armies
- 3.Minister of War
- 4.Song in the Blood
- 5.Casida of the Lament
- 6.Of the Dark Past (Ecce Puer)
- 8.In Guernica
- 9.Who Murdered the Minuets
- 10.Oh, Little Child
- 11.No Man Is an Island
- 12.From Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
- 13.All the Pretty Little Horses
- 14.Childhood III
- 15.The Magic Wood
- 16.Poems from the Japanese
- 18.All in Green Went My Love Riding
- 19.Gacela of the Dark Death
- 20.The Parable of the Old Man and the Young
- 22.Epitaph for a Poet
- 23.Old Welsh Song
- 24.Mystic Numbers: 36. Wedding Song - (previously unreleased)
- 25.When the Shy Star Goes Forth in Heaven - (previously unreleased)
- 26.Angel, The - (previously unreleased)
BAPTISM features Joan Baez singing and reading poems and prose by Walt Whitman, Federico Garcia Lorca, James Joyce, William Blake, Arthur Rimbaud and others, to the accompaniment of scores by Peter Schickele.
Personnel includes: Joan Baez (vocals); Peter Schickele (conductor).
Recorded at Vanguard's 23rd St. Studio, New York.
Personnel: Joan Baez (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Arthur Levy .
Recording information: Vanguard's 23rd St. Studio, NY.
Editor: Joan Baez.
Photographers: Richard Golden; Michel Quenneville.
Translators: Stephen Spender; Louise Varese; J.L. Gili; Peter Levi; Robin Milner Gulland; Kenneth Rexroth; Lawrence Ferlinghetti; Arthur Waley.
Probably Joan Baez's artiest record, and therefore one not widely appreciated by many folk traditionalists, 1968's BAPTISM is partly traditional folk songs and partly readings and musical settings of poetry and prose by authors like Walt Whitman, Federico Garcia Lorca, James Joyce, William Blake and Arthur Rimbaud. The whole is arranged and produced by Peter Schickele--better-known as classical-comedy composer/performer P.D.Q. Bach and host of the public radio program Schickele Mix--and in many ways, this is much more a Peter Schickele album than a Joan Baez album. Baroquely over-orchestrated and exceedingly precious, most of BAPTISM works in spite of itself, largely due to the wit of Schickele's arrangements. Traditional folk fans may not like this at all, but fans of Van Dyke Parks or Judy Collins' collaborations with Joshua Rifkin may really enjoy it.
Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More... (CD)
$24.66 Super Savings
Woodstock: 40th Anniversary Director's Cut (2-DVD)
$21.71 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 17 ratings.
Based on 17 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE