Boston Pops America the Beautiful
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$12.58 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Boston Pops ~ Broadway's Greatest Hits ~ $7.18
- by Various Artists ~ God Bless America: The Ultimate Patriotic Album ~ $14.85
- by John Williams ~ I Love a Parade ~ $7.18
- by John Williams ~ John Williams / Boston Pops Salute to America ~ $5.97
- by Boston Pops / John Williams ~ The Very Best of the Boston Pops ~ $12.49
- Released: May 14, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Philips
- 1.Fanfare for the Common Man, for brass & percussion (from Symphony No. 3)
- 2.American Salute, for orchestra
- 3.America the Beautiful (original title "Materna")
- 4.This Land Is Your Land
- 5.Rodeo, selections from the ballet (including "Four Dance Episodes"): Hoe-Down
- 6.Battle Hymn of the Republic, The ("Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory," words by Julia Ward Howe; music attributed to Steffe)
- 7.Prayer of Thanksgiving
- 8.The Entertainer, for piano
- 9.Alexander's Ragtime Band, song
- 10.Strike Up the Band, song (from Strike Up The Band; both versions)
- 11.The Music Man, musical: 76 Trombones
- 12.When the Saints Go Marching In
- 13.The Stars and Stripes Forever, march for band
- 14.America, the Dream Goes On, for voice, chorus & orchestra
- 15.Variations on "America", arrangement for orchestra or band (after Charles Ives)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Full performer name: John Williams/Arthur Fiedler/The Boston Pops Orchestra.
John Williams/Arthur Fiedler/The Boston Pops Orchestra includes: John Williams, Arthur Fiedler (conductor).
Liner Note Author: R. Peter Munves.
Illustrator: Roger Motzkus.
Arrangers: E. Kremser; Alexander Courage; Billy May; Peter J. Wilhousky.
America the Beautiful is a collection of "typically American" songs performed by the Boston Pops Orchestra. Only a few selections are overtly patriotic ("American Salute (When Johnny Comes Marching Home)," "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and the title track); the main focus of the program is on quintessentially American composers such as Aaron Copland ("Fanfare for the Common Man," "Hoedown"), George Gershwin ("Strike Up the Band"), John Phillip Sousa ("The Stars and Stripes Forever"), Irving Berlin ("Alexander's Ragtime Band"), Scott Joplin ("The Entertainer"), Charles Ives ("Variations on 'America'"), and Meredith Willson ("Seventy-Six Trombones"), as well as traditional songs like "Prayer of Thanksgiving" and "When the Saints Go Marching In," plus the Woody Guthrie folk standard "This Land Is Your Land." While most of the material isn't exactly unfamiliar, that actually works in the disc's favor -- it comes off as a showcase of the range and depth of talent in American popular composition, and it's a fitting tribute. ~ Steve Huey
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$5.39 CYBER WEEK
Great Songs for All Seasons / Great Songs of Christmas (LP)
$3.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
What the World Needs Now: Burt Bacharach Classics (CD)
$7.38 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Concert In Rhythm, Volume II / The Perfect "10" Classic (CD)
$8.78 CYBER WEEK
Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD)
99¢ CYBER WEEK
Top Hits of the 80s: 18 Original Hits (Wooden Gift Box) (CD)
99¢ CYBER WEEK