Boston Pops America the Beautiful
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 14, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Philips
- 1.Fanfare for the Common Man, for brass & percussion (from Symphony No. 3)
- 2.American Salute, for orchestra
- 3.America the Beautiful (original title "Materna")
- 4.This Land Is Your Land
- 5.Rodeo, selections from the ballet (including "Four Dance Episodes"): Hoe-Down
- 6.Battle Hymn of the Republic, The ("Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory," words by Julia Ward Howe; music attributed to Steffe)
- 7.Prayer of Thanksgiving
- 8.The Entertainer, for piano
- 9.Alexander's Ragtime Band, song
- 10.Strike Up the Band, song (from Strike Up The Band; both versions)
- 11.The Music Man, musical: 76 Trombones
- 12.When the Saints Go Marching In
- 13.The Stars and Stripes Forever, march for band
- 14.America, the Dream Goes On, for voice, chorus & orchestra
- 15.Variations on "America", arrangement for orchestra or band (after Charles Ives)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Full performer name: John Williams/Arthur Fiedler/The Boston Pops Orchestra.
John Williams/Arthur Fiedler/The Boston Pops Orchestra includes: John Williams, Arthur Fiedler (conductor).
Liner Note Author: R. Peter Munves.
Illustrator: Roger Motzkus.
Arrangers: E. Kremser; Alexander Courage; Billy May; Peter J. Wilhousky.
America the Beautiful is a collection of "typically American" songs performed by the Boston Pops Orchestra. Only a few selections are overtly patriotic ("American Salute (When Johnny Comes Marching Home)," "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and the title track); the main focus of the program is on quintessentially American composers such as Aaron Copland ("Fanfare for the Common Man," "Hoedown"), George Gershwin ("Strike Up the Band"), John Phillip Sousa ("The Stars and Stripes Forever"), Irving Berlin ("Alexander's Ragtime Band"), Scott Joplin ("The Entertainer"), Charles Ives ("Variations on 'America'"), and Meredith Willson ("Seventy-Six Trombones"), as well as traditional songs like "Prayer of Thanksgiving" and "When the Saints Go Marching In," plus the Woody Guthrie folk standard "This Land Is Your Land." While most of the material isn't exactly unfamiliar, that actually works in the disc's favor -- it comes off as a showcase of the range and depth of talent in American popular composition, and it's a fitting tribute. ~ Steve Huey
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
What the World Needs Now: Burt Bacharach Classics (CD)(13)
$7.79 Super Savings
Turn Around & Look At Me / I Love How You Love Me (CD)(15)
$10.98 on SALE
Golden Age of American Popular Music: Hits with Strings and... (CD)(15)
$12.35 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE