Wattstax: The Living Word (Live Concert Music From The Original Movie Soundtrack) (2-CD)
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: January 11, 1990
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Stax
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.The Staple SingersOh La De Da
- 2.The Staple SingersI Like The Things About Me
- 3.The Staple SingersRespect Yourself
- 4.The Staple SingersI'll Take You There
- 5.Eddie FloydKnock On Wood
- 6.Eddie FloydLay Your Loving On Me
- 7.Carla ThomasI Like What You're Doing (To Me)
- 8.Carla ThomasGee Whiz
- 9.Carla ThomasI Have A God Who Loves
- 10.Rufus ThomasThe Breakdown
- 11.Rufus ThomasDo The Funky Chicken
- 12.Rufus ThomasDo The Funky Penguin
Additional engineers: Pete Bishop, William Brown, Dave Purple, Tom Scott, Ray Thompson.
Recorded live at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, August 20, 1972. Originally released on Stax (3010).
Digital remastering by Kirk Felton (1989, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley).
Recording information: Ardent Studios, Memphis, TN (08/20/1972); Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (08/20/1972); Muscles Shoals Sound Studios (08/20/1972); Paramount Studios, Hollywood, CA (08/20/1972).
Wattstax: The Living Word is a two-CD document of the all-day festival of Stax acts in Los Angeles in 1972 contains decent performances by the Staple Singers, Eddie Floyd, the Bar-Kays, Carla Thomas, Rufus Thomas, Albert King, the Soul Children and Isaac Hayes. It's not remarkably different from what you'll find on those artists' records, however, and Isaac Hayes does none of his more popular singles, his contribution being limited to a 17-minute cover of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine." Check out the Bar-Kays' outrageous eight-minute soul-rock workout on "Son of Shaft," though, which goes into some Santana-like grooves in the middle; Rufus Thomas launches into three dance novelties in a row ("The Breakdown," "Do the Funky Chicken," and "Do the Funky Penguin"). Note: a couple of these cuts (the Staple Singers' "Oh La De Da" and "Lay Your Loving on Me"), although programmed as if they were recorded live at the event, are actually versions that were re-recorded in the studio. ~ Richie Unterberger
Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$8.98 on SALE
Maniac Cop (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$20.24 Super Savings
Johnny Be Good (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP)
$3.74 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE