- Released: August 28, 2007
- Label: Emarcy / Umgd
Down Beat - p.604 stars out of 5
-- "[T]he album is richly layered with percussion, guitar and instruments such as the harp-like kora and sokou, the one-string violin with a keening, bluesy sound."
Dirty Linen - p.47
"RED EARTH is a rich, fully formed cultural exchange that conveys the generosity and creativity of its participants."
- 1.Afro Blue
- 2.Bad Spirits - (African Languages)
- 3.Dee Dee - (African Languages)
- 4.Mama Don't Ever Go Away (Mama Digna Sara Ye) - (African Languages)
- 6.Children Go 'Round (Demissenw) - (African Languages, African Languages)
- 7.Griots, The (Sakhodougou) - (African Languages)
- 8.Oh My Love (Djarabi) - (African Languages, African Languages)
- 9.Four Women
- 10.No More (Bambo) - (African Languages)
- 11.Red Earth (Massane Cisse) - (African Languages)
- 13.Compared to What
On this impressive 2007 outing, revered singer Dee Dee Bridgewater celebrates her Malian heritage with a set that deftly mixes African music with jazz. In addition to performing a bright, jaunty rendition of one of her signature numbers, "Afro Blue," Bridgewater stands out on the percussive "Bad Spirits (Bani)" and the gentle "Oh My Love (Djarabi)." One of the finest worldbeat/jazz albums of '07, RED EARTH is essential for Bridgewater fans, and will appeal to aficionados of both jazz vocals and West Africa's griot tradition.