- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: Cheezy Flicks Ent
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 02/12/1988
"...Burton is surely bravura..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
At a Catholic public school, Benjamin Stanfield (Dominic Guard) is tired of being the teacher's pet and decides to play a practical joke on his former master Father Goddard (Richard Burton). In confession, Stanfield tells Goddard that he has accidentally murdered his friend Blakey (Billy Connolly) and buried him in the forest. When Goddard investigates the matter, he finds a buried scarecrow. Goddard is outraged, but due to the seal of confession, he knows he cannot expel Stanfield. Shortly after, Stanfield once again enters the confessional booth, telling Goddard that what before was a practical joke, he has now made happen. In disbelief, Goddard once again goes to the forest to investigate the matter. This time, he discovers Blakey's dead body. The plot soon thickens as Stanfield's fellow student Arthur Dyson (David Bradley) mysteriously disappears...
This gripping and bizarre story of a Catholic priest and his students at an all-boys boarding school contains mystery, intrigue, murder and leads to a Hitchcock-like shock ending. ABSOLUTION is based on a true story.
Two students at a British boarding school use the confessional to manipulate a rigid Catholic priest into becoming involved in murder.
- Film's release was delayed by two years, due to its failure to find a distributor. At the time of its British release, it had not yet found a US distributor.
- The film was rated X by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Shot in Technicolor.
- When this film was shown on British TV, it went under the title "Murder by Confession."