- Released: September 17, 1996
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Sharp Nine
Down Beat - 9/97, p.513 stars (out of 5)
- "DeRose makes an impressive debut with a standards-dominated collection that showcases her velvety vocals and fine piano tinklings..."
- 1.When Lights Are Low
- 2.Where or When
- 3.How Long Has This Been Going On?
- 4.Come Rain or Come Shine
- 5.Blue Skies
- 6.The Wish
- 7.Gone With the Wind
- 8.How Deep Is the Ocean?
- 9.Be My Love
- 10.Time After Time
- 11.The Ruby and the Pearl
- 12.What's New?
- 13.Beautiful Love
- 14.Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Dena DeRose (vocals, piano); Steve Wilson (soprano & alto saxophones); Michael Zisman (bass); Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).
Personnel: Dena DeRose (vocals, piano); Steve Wilson (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).
Recording information: Sear Sound, New York, NY (05/01/1996-05/03/1996).
Dena DeRose's debut recording as a leader features the pianist/vocalist playing and singing a dozen standards plus two originals ("The Wish" and "Be My Love"). DeRose has a haunting voice and a fluent and swinging piano style that uplifts and personalizes such songs as "When Lights Are Low," "Blue Skies," "Gone With the Wind," and "Beautiful Love." She is assisted by bassist Michael Zisman, drummer Albert "Tootie" Heath, and Steve Wilson on alto and soprano. Although DeRose would continue to grow and evolve since this time, this was an impressive beginning for the New York-based jazz musician. ~ Scott Yanow