Johnny Cash Cash: Ultimate Gospel
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.14 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.84 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 5, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Sony
Dirty Linen - p.76"Cash's vocals are strong throughout....For those who enjoy Cash's religious work, there is much to recommend on ULTIMATE GOSPEL."
No Depression - pp.88-89"Cash was equally at ease singing traditional hymns and more current material....Cash also showed his skills as a gospel songwriter with the Old Testament-based 'Belshazzar'..."
- 1.Here Was a Man
- 2.The Preacher Said "Jesus Said"
- 3.I Was There When It Happened
- 5.That's Enough
- 6.It Was Jesus
- 7.The Old Account
- 8.Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- 9.The Great Speckled Bird
- 10.He'll Understand and Say Well Done
- 11.How Great Thou Art - (previously unreleased)
- 12.It Is No Secret (What God Can Do) - (previously unreleased)
- 13.He Turned the Water into Wine
- 14.Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord)
- 15.Troublesome Waters
- 16.(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)
- 17.When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder
- 18.In the Sweet By and By
- 19.My Ship Will Sail
- 20.Far Side Banks of Jordan
- 21.Oh, Come Angel Band
- 22.Amazing Grace
- 23.Daddy Sang Bass
- 24.Children Go Where I Send Thee
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: June Carter Cash (vocals); Jack Routh, Jerry Hensley, Johnny Christopher, Johnny Western, Marty Stuart, Pete Wade, Bob Johnson, Jerry Shook (guitar); Philip Donnelly, Luther Perkins, Bob Wootton, Carl Perkins (electric guitar); Norman Blake (dobro); Mother Maybelle Carter (autoharp); Jack Hale (trumpet, piano); Bob Lewin (trumpet); Chuck Cochran, Earl Poole Ball, James Carter Wilson, William A. "Bill" Walker , Beegie Cruzer, Marvin Hughes, Bill Pursell, Larry McCoy (piano); Ralph Hansell (vibraphone); W.S. Holland, Morris Palmer, Ritchie Albright, Buddy Harman (drums); Bill Harris Quintet, Farrell Morris (percussion); B.J. Baker, Millicent Alexander, Johnny Whittaker, Frederic Schulman, Anna Grizzard, Robin Johnson, 21st Century Singers, Nashville, Jan Howard, Rosa Dotson, The Carter Family (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Sylvie Simmons.
Recording information: Hendersonville, TN (??/??/1957-02/18/1981); Hollywood, CA (??/??/1957-02/18/1981); Memphis (??/??/1957-02/18/1981); Nashville, TN (??/??/1957-02/18/1981).
Photographers: Don Hunstein; Jim Marshall .
Arranger: C. Williams.
With his craggy, flawed voice and songs of craggy, flawed devotion to the Lord, the late Johnny Cash's unique combination of charisma and humility endeared him to both devout and secular audiences. This 24-track compilation harvests the best (arguably) of Cash's country-gospel output, grazing mostly on his mid-career recordings. While he is suitably reverent and low-key on most of the tracks here, a shuffling rendition of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" finds Cash emoting with an uncharacteristically supple, jazzy looseness that reflects the joy of the song. It is infectious, and a consolation for his absence.
Gospel Road - One Man's Journey on the Road to the Truth (A...
$10.84 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Western TV Treasures: 150 Episode Collection (12-DVD)(4)
$9.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE