Kinky Friedman Sold American [30th Anniversary Edition]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Kinky Friedman ~ The Last of the Jewish Cowboys: The Best of Kinky Friedman ~ $9.71
- by Kinky Friedman ~ Live from Austin TX ~ $14.38
- Released: September 30, 2003
- Label: Vanguard Records
- 1.We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to You
- 2.Highway Caf‚
- 3.Sold American
- 4.Flyin' Down the Freeway
- 5.Ride 'Em Jewboy
- 6.Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed
- 7.High on Jesus
- 8.The Ballad of Charles Whitman
- 9.Top Ten Commandments
- 10.Western Union Wire
- 11.Silver Eagle Express
- 12.Nashville Casualty and Life - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Tramp on the Street, The - (previously unreleased)
Personnel includes: Kinky Friedman; Billy Swan, Benny Whitehead, Jim Glaser, Willie Fong Young, Chuck Glaser, Jack Ross, Capt. Dave Beer (vocals); John Buck Wilkin, Danny Finley (guitar); Doyle Grisham, Dan Moose (electric guitar); John Harris, David Briggs (piano); Bill Holmes (bass); Fred Pierce, Ken Malone (drums).
Personnel: Chuck Glaser, Jim Glaser (vocals, guitar); Roger Friedman, Capt. Dave Beer, Willie Fong Young, Jack Ross, Benny Whitehead, Tompall Glaser, Billy Swan (vocals); Doyle Grisham (guitar, steel guitar, dobro); Norman Blake (guitar, mandolin); Dan Moose, Bill Holmes, John "Bucky" Wilkin (guitar); Danny Finlay (electric guitar); Paul Craft (banjo); Jimmy Payne (harp); John Hartford, Buddy Spicher (fiddle); David Briggs (piano, organ); John Harris (piano); Fred Pierce, Ken Malone (drums).
Liner Note Author: Jim Bessman.
Editor: Steve Wilkison.
Photographer: Steve Prezant.
Although Kinky Friedman has become better-known for his best-selling mystery novels than for his music, the country music renegade and self-proclaimed "Texas Jewboy" was one of the '70s' most iconoclastic and memorable performers. A singer/songwriter with a degree in psychology, a Peace Corps stint on his resum‚, and a wicked sense of humor, Friedman was adept at raising either eyebrows or hackles with songs like "High on Jesus" and "Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed," but songs like "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to You" and "The Ballad of Charles Whitman" (about the military-trained sniper who shot and killed several people from the clock tower at the University of Texas while Friedman was a student there) show that he was more interested in smart alecky social commentary than cheap shocks and sensationalism. Indeed, the provocatively titled "Ride 'Em Jewboy" is actually a moving statement of Friedman's religious and cultural faith. The album's highlight, however, is the aching title track, the high point of Friedman's entire musical career. A sympathetic portrait of a down-and-out former country star dying on skid row, "Sold American" is a sad and lovely tune with an indelible chorus. Chuck Glaser's production throughout is low-key traditional (largely acoustic) country with a few folk and even fewer rock influences; Billy Swan, Norman Blake, and John Hartford are among the guests. This is by far Friedman's best album and a classic of '70s outlaw country. ~ Stewart Mason
Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt (DVD)(33)
$22.13 Super Savings
Willie Nelson - Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die: Musings... (Book)(470)
Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette: Or How to Get to... (Book)(36)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)(10)
$5.98 on SALE
Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD)(2)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE