John Martyn Solid Air [Deluxe Edition] (2-CD)
|You Save:||$3 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 23, 2000
- Label: Ume Imports
Q - 7/99, p.150Included in Q's Best Chill-Out Albums of All Time - "...the musical equivalent of a reassuring hug....a quiveringly sexy folk record."
Q - 6/00, p.65Ranked #67 in Q's "100 Greatest British Albums"
Mojo (Publisher) - 4/04, p.143"[A] sublime proto-chill out record on which the vaunted interplay between Martyn and double bassist Danny Thompson reached its folk-jazz zenith."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.885 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he artist's command of his craft and spirit of experimentation resulted in a jaw-dropping collection..."
Uncut (magazine)5 stars out of 5 - "It includes Martyn's sweetest pop song, 'May You Never,' a lullaby in which optimism triumphs over every possible cause of the blues."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Solid Air
- 2.Over the Hill
- 3.Don't Want to Know
- 4.I'd Rather Be the Devil
- 5.Go Down Easy
- 6.Dreams by the Sea
- 7.May You Never
- 8.The Man in the Station
- 9.The Easy Blues / Gentle Blues
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Solid Air - (alternate take)
- 2.Over the Hill - (alternate take)
- 3.Don't Want to Know - (alternate take)
- 4.I'd Rather Be the Devil - (alternate take)
- 5.Go Down Easy - (alternate take)
- 6.Dreams by the Sea - (alternate take)
- 7.May You Never - (alternate take)
- 8.The Man in the Station - (alternate take)
- 9.Easy Blues / The Gentle Blues - (alternate take)
- 10.Keep On
- 11.When It's Dark
- 12.In the Evening
- 13.May You Never
- 14.The Easy Blues - (live)
- 15.May You Never - (live)
- 16.I'd Rather Be the Devil - (live)
Personnel: John Martyn (vocals, acoustic & electric guitar, synthesizer); Richard Thompson (mandolin); Simon Nicol (autoharp); Sue Dranheim (violin); Tony Coe (saxophone); John "Rabbit" Bundrick (acoustic & electric piano, organ, clavinet); Tristan Fry (vibraphone); Danny Thompson (acoustic bass); Dave Pegg (bass); Dave Mattacks (drums); Neemoi "Speedy" Acquaye (congas).
Personnel: John Martyn (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synthesizer); Richard Thompson, Simon Nicol, Sue Draheim (autoharp, mandolin, violin); Tony Coe (saxophone); John "Rabbit" Bundrick (piano, electric piano, Clavinet, organ); Tristan Fry (vibraphone); Danny Thompson , Danny Thompson (double bass); Dave Mattacks (drums); Neemoi "Speedy" Aquaye, Neemoi Acquaye (congas).
Liner Note Authors: John Hillarby; Daryl Easlea.
Recording information: 11/1972-12/1972.
Photographer: Brian Cooke.
He began as a folksy minstrel but seemed drawn to experimental, free form improvisation. Solid Air is where John Martyn's love affair with effects and echoplex became serious. The title track, dedicated to his close friend Nick Drake, became a eulogy, while the breezy "Over The Hill"--one of the greatest songs ever written about a train journey--is a feathery delight. "May You Never" and "Don't Want To Know" continued the simple, stoned ballad approach, although it is his interpretation of Skip James' "I'd Rather Be The Devil," totally reshaped with hypnotic shifts, tidal echoes, and a slurred growl, which broods over the whole album. A record that remains Martyn's youthful zenith.
John MartynSweet Little Mysteries: The Island Anthology (2-CD)
$11.12 LABOR DAY
The Man Upstairs: In Concert in Germany 1978 (DVD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE