Hank Williams Live at the Grand Ole Opry  (2-CD)
|You Save:||$2.02 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: September 28, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Mercury Nashville
Entertainment Weekly - 11/12/99, p.83"...culled from the singer's Opry appearances (1942-52)....This is Hank as his original fans knew him." - Rating: A-
Q - 2/00, p.1044 stars out of 5 - "...a must-buy for any true believer....this is about as close as we're ever likely to get now to understanding William's power as a live performer. A beautifully packaged slice of real history."
NME (Magazine) - 12/18/99, p.286 out of 10 - "...Amid the cabaret turns there are plenty of interesting rereadings of his most famous songs...along with a glimpse of his God-fearing gospel persona....here Williams remains resolutely enigmatic. An intriguing document..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Lovesick Blues
- 2.Wedding Bells - (previously unreleased)
- 3.You're Gonna Change (Or I'm Gonna Leave)
- 4.Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do)? - (previously unreleased)
- 5.Comedy With Hank Williams / Red Foley / Minnie Pearl
- 6.They'll Never Take Her Love from Me
- 7.Moanin' the Blues - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Nobody's Lonesome for Me - (previously unreleased)
- 9.Dear John
- 10.Cold, Cold Heart - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Hey, Good Lookin'
- 12.Honky Tonk Blues
- 13.Let the Spirit Descend
- 14.Baby, We're Really in Love
- 15.Comedy With Hank Williams / Rod Brasfield - (previously unreleased)
- 16.The Old Country Church
- 17.I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love With You) - (previously unreleased)
- 18.Jambalaya (On the Bayou) - (previously unreleased)
- 19.Half as Much - (previously unreleased)
- 20.Window Shopping - (previously unreleased)
- 21.Long Gone Lonesome Blues - (previously unreleased)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Aunt Jemima's Plaster - (previously unreleased)
- 2.Lead Me to That Rock - (previously unreleased)
- 3.I Just Don't Like This Kind of Livin'
- 4.Comedy With Minnie Pearl
- 5.Lord, I'm Coming Home - (previously unreleased)
- 6.Oh, You Beautiful Doll - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Comedy With Jamup & Honey - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Lovesick Blues - (previously unreleased)
- 9.You Ain't Got Faith - (previously unreleased)
- 10.Church Music - (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Hank Williams (vocals, acoustic guitar); Red Foley, Minnie Pearl, Rod Brasfield, Jamup & Honey, Wally Fowler & The Oak Ridge Quartet, Claude Sharpe & The Old Hickory Singers.
Compilation producers: Colin Escott, Kira Florita.
Recorded live at The Grand Ole Opry, Nashville, Tennessee, between 1949-1952.
Includes liner notes by Rick Bragg and Colin Escott.
Digitally remastered by Tom Ruff (Universal Music Studios).
LIVE AT THE GRAND OLE OPRY was nominated for the 2000 Grammy Award for Best Album Notes.
Liner Note Author: Colin Escott.
As the single most important artist in country music, Hank Williams bears a discography whose every element is of extreme historical import. While he recorded prolifically, live Williams records are decidedly in the minority. Before the 1999 release of LIVE AT THE GRAND OLE OPRY, the Health and Happiness radio shows and a few stray cuts here and there were all the public had access to in terms of live Hank. Like the Health and Happiness release, this album is taken from radio transcriptions.
The context these shows provide--Hank trades quips with Minnie Pearl and a host of comedians, and engages in plenty of aural glad-handing with the host and audience--makes the unadorned longing in Hank's voice and songs all the more striking. Listening to him detail (though not without humor) his miserable state on "Nobody's Lonesome For Me" while an enthusiastic audience happily claps along, adds an extra ironic edge to the already harrowing musical experience. LIVE AT THE GRAND OLE OPRY shows that Williams was a unique combination of happy-faced showman and broken-hearted troubadour, a man who could make people smile with a cry in his voice.
Down the Tracks: Music That Influenced Bob Dylan (DVD)(3)
$3.98 on SALE
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(2)
$3.99 Super Savings
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)(10)
$5.98 on SALE
Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD)(2)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE