- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 1, 2011
- Originally Released: 1947
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 10/19/1994
"...The ultimate college musical..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
With boundless enthusiasm and enough jive to meld '20s flapper giddiness with '40s swing, 1947's Good News is "one of the best of the lighthearted rah-rah collegiate musicals" (Pauline Kael, The New Yorker). Peter Lawford (as a campus football hero) and June Allyson (she's the brainiac who tutors him) lead a high-spirited cast that includes Mel Torme and Broadway's Joan McCracken. And "The Varsity Drag" and Best Song Oscar nominee "Pass That Peace Pipe" stand out among the numbers that are all zip and joy. And the bee's knees.
- This film is a re-working (by Comden and Green) of the 1930 movie musical of the same name.
- Shot in three-strip Technicolor.
- Songs include: "Lucky in Love," "The Best Things in Life Are Free," "Varsity Drag," "Just Imagine," "Ladies Man," "Pass the Peace Pipe," "The French Lesson," and "Good News."
"Pass the Peace Pipe" and "The French Lesson" were new songs, written especially for this version.