Paul Quinichette Like Basie
- Released: October 31, 2006
- Originally Released: 2014
- Label: Mighty Quinn
- 1.Jump the Blues Away - (with Paul Quinichette And His Basie-ites)
- 2.Jump For Me - (with Paul Quinichette And His Basie-ites)
- 3.Like Basie - (with Paul Quinichette And His Basie-ites)
- 4.Holy Main, The - (with Paul Quinichette And His Basie-ites)
- 5.Big D - (with Paul Quinichette And His Basie-ites)
- 6.P.Q. - (with Paul Quinichette And His Basie-ites)
Paul Quinichette: Freddie Green (guitar); Paul Quinichette (tenor saxophone); Harry "Sweets" Edison , Shad Collins, Snooky Young, Dick Vance (trumpet); Al Grey (trombone); Nat Pierce (piano); Eddie Jones (bass guitar); Jo Jones (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Mantis Evar.
Paul Quinichette was nicknamed "The Vice Pres" because his tone and style in the '50s were so similar to those of Lester Young (called "Pres"). Most of Quinichette's recordings from that decade are readily available, but Like Basie did not reappear until 2006. This set features the tenor-saxophonist with Count Basie sidemen both past and present including four trumpeters and trombonist Al Grey. Unfortunately, the liner notes do not identify which trumpeter solos played where, although Harry "Sweets" Edison is always very distinctive. Quinichette might have been derivative but he always showed enthusiasm and skill in being creative within the Lester Young approach and this is a fine and formerly obscure effort. ~ Scott Yanow
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!