The Diva Series
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
- Released: January 20, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Verve
- $0.99 on iTunes1.If I Were a Bell
- $0.99 on iTunes2.You Do Something to Me
- $1.29 on iTunes3.What a Diff'rence a Day Makes
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Sometimes I'm Happy
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Caravan
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Teach Me Tonight
- 7.Blue Skies
- $0.99 on iTunes8.I've Got You Under My Skin
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Invitation
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Nothing Ever Changes My Love For You
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Bargain Day
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Goodbye
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Perdido
- $0.99 on iTunes15.There'll Be a Jubilee
- $0.99 on iTunes16.I'll Close My Eyes
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Dinah Washington (vocals); Anthony Ortega (alto saxophone, clarinet); Julian "Cannonball" Adderley (alto saxophone); Danny Bank (baritone saxophone, bass clarinet); Joe Newamn, Ernie Royal, Clark Terry (trumpet); Junior Mance (piano); George Barnes (guitar); Milt Hinton (bass).
Recorded between 1954 & 1961. Includes liner notes by Will Friedwald.
This is part of Verve's Diva Series.
Personnel: Dinah Washington (vocals); George Barnes, Kenny Burrell, Barry Galbraith (guitar); Hal McKusick (flute, alto saxophone); Jerome Richardson (clarinet, saxophone, tenor saxophone); Anthony Ortega (clarinet, alto saxophone); Lucky Thompson (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Danny Bank (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Herb Geller, Rick Henderson, Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis , Georgie Auld, Al Cohn (tenor saxophone); Charles Davis (baritone saxophone); Don Elliott (trumpet, vibraphone, bongos); Clark Terry, Clifford Brown , Doc Severinsen, Ernie Royal, Joe Newman , Joe Wilder, Maynard Ferguson, Jimmy Maxwell, Charlie Shavers (trumpet); Jimmy Cleveland, Kai Winding, Quentin Jackson, Urbie Green, Billy Byers, Gus Chappell (trombone); Tommy Mitchell (bass trombone); Clarence "Sleepy" Anderson (piano, celesta); Joe Zawinul, Junior Mance, Patti Bown, Wynton Kelly (piano); Ed Thigpen, Jimmy Cobb , Jimmy Crawford , Max Roach, Osie Johnson, Panama Francis (drums).
Liner Note Author: Will Friedwald.
Recording information: Fine Sound, New York, NY (06/15/1954-08/16/1961); Hollywood, CA (06/15/1954-08/16/1961); Los Angeles, CA (06/15/1954-08/16/1961); Mercury Sound Studio, New York, NY (06/15/1954-08/16/1961); New York, NY (06/15/1954-08/16/1961).
Illustrator: Gary Kelley.
Photographer: Chuck Stewart.
Arrangers: Ernie Wilkins; Hal Mooney; Quincy Jones; Belford Hendricks.
Part of Verve's Diva Series, this Dinah Washington collection serves as a solid introduction to her dynamic work. Featuring such popular Washington mainstays as "What a Diff'rence a Day Made," "If I Were a Bell," and "I'll Close My Eyes," this is a timely introduction to one of the jazz world's most versatile artists. While by no means definitive, at over 14 tracks one could do worse with a single-disc overview than to check this one out first. ~ Matt Collar
Eat to the Beat: The Dirtiest of the Dirty Blues (CD)
$18.20 Super Savings
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.84 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs series:
- The Impressions Singles Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Original Gospel Harmonettes Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Johnny Mathis The Best of Johnny Mathis (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Crickets The Crickets Story (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE