Bobby "Blue" Bland Two Steps from the Blues
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$6.74 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.14 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 27, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: MCA
Q - 2/93, p.87"...the leanness of the instrumentation and the simple but clever arrangements deepen the pervasive air of plaintive, lonesome melancholy..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.974 stars out of 5 -- "[T]his is Bland's orchestral soul classic, with emotion-wracked readings of 'Cry, Cry, Cry,' 'I Pity The Fool' and 'Little Boy Blue.'"
- 1.Two Steps From The Blues
- 2.Cry, Cry, Cry
- 3.I'm Not Ashamed
- 4.Don't Cry No More
- 5.Lead Me On
- 6.I Pity The Fool
- 7.I've Got To Forget You
- 8.Little Boy Blue
- 9.St. James Infirmary
- 10.I'll Take Care Of You
- 11.I Don't Want No Woman
- 12.I've Been Wrong So Long
- 13.How Does A Cheatin' Woman Feel - (bonus track)
- 14.Close To You - (bonus track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This reissue contains two bonus tracks from the original LP sessions.
Personnel includes: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Wayne Bennett, Clarence Holloman (guitar); Robert Skinner, L.A. Hill (tenor saxophone); Rayfield Devers (baritone saxophone); Joe Scott, Melvin Jackson (trumpet); Pluma Davis (trombone); Connie Mack Booker, Teddy Reynolds (piano); Hamp Simmons (bass); John "Jabo" Starks, Sonny Freeman (drums).
Recorded between March 12, 1956 and November 12, 1960. Includes liner notes by Bill Dahl and Dzondria Lalsac.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (Universal Mastering).
Personnel: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Wayne Bennett (guitar); Joe Scott (trumpet); Pluma Davis (trombone); Connie Mack Booker, Teddy Reynolds (piano); John Starks, Sonny Freeman (drums).
Recording information: Chicago, IL (03/12/1956-11/12/1960); Houston, TX (03/12/1956-11/12/1960).
If you are unfamiliar with Bobby Bland, TWO STEPS FROM THE BLUES is the place to start. The album marked a watershed of creative bursts and commercial recognition for the legendary blues singer. The foundation of TWO STEPS' blues was an uptown Texas blues sound, relying more on sophisticated arrangements, horns, and orchestras than gut-bucket Delta guitar heroics. Inside the lush grooves, Bland moved with restraint, crooning seductively, a tried-and-true ladies man. Which is not to say that Bland is all smooth grooves and sweet nothings. No, his gospel roots rise up like thunderclouds at precise moments, erupting to transform the album's ballads into rattling experiences. The undeniable power of Bland's squalls punctuates "Cry, Cry, Cry" and "I Pity the Fool." His trademark mixture of smoky crooning and strangled outbursts has helped place Bobby Bland alongside the best R&B singers of the century.
Bobby "Blue" BlandThe Best of Bobby Bland - 20th Century Masters / Millennium...
$3.99 CYBER WEEK
The Best of Blues Guitars - 20th Century Masters /... (CD)
$3.99 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 33 ratings.
Based on 33 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Blues: Texas / West Coast Music Categories:
- Dave Allen Color Blind (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER WEEK
- Anson Funderburgh The Best of Blast Off (CD) ~ $8.34 CYBER WEEK
- Marcia Ball Live! Down the Road (CD) ~ $16.79 CYBER WEEK
- Marcia Ball The Tattooed Lady & The Alligator Man (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER WEEK
- Tab Benoit Fever For the Bayou (CD) ~ $9.88 CYBER WEEK
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Johnny Shines Traditional Delta Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- John Lee Hooker The Best of John Lee Hooker (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Jimmy Rushing Five Feet of Soul (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Big Miller Revelations And The Blues / Big Miller Sings, Twists, Shouts and Preaches! (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Jimmy Witherspoon Spoon (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK