Dizzy Gillespie Timeless
- Clearance CDs with the ZHUS prefix may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: October 1, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Savoy Jazz
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Tin Tin Deo
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Star Dust
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Caravan - (Master Take)
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Salt Peanuts
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Champ, The - (Parts One And Two)
- $1.29 on iTunes6.All the Things You Are
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Dizzy Atmosphere
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Hot House
- $1.29 on iTunes9.Lover Man
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Groovin' High
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Oop-Bop-Sh'bam
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Birk's Works
- $1.29 on iTunes13.I Found a Million Dollar Baby
- $1.29 on iTunes14.Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- $1.29 on iTunes15.Things to Come
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Dizzy Gillespie (vocals, trumpet); Sarah Vaughan (vocals); John Coltrane (alto & tenor saxophones); Charlie Parker, Sonny Stitt (alto saxophone); Budd Johnson (tenor saxophone); J.J. Johnson (trombone); Stuff Smith (violin); Milt Jackson (vibraphone, piano, organ); Al Haig, Clyde Hart (piano); Kenny Burrell, Remo Palmieri (guitar); Percy Heath, Curley Russell, Slam Stewart, Ray Brown (bass); Al Jones, Sid Catlett, Art Blakey, Cozy Cole, Kenny Clarke (drums).
Producers include: Dick Bock, Dave Usher, Dizzy Gillespie.
Recorded between 1945 & 1951. Includes liner notes by Bill Milkowski.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of Savoy's Timeless series.
Dizzy Gillespie is heard at the height of his vanguard years on the single-disc compilation Gettin' Dizzy: The High Flying Dizzy Gillespie, featuring 15 remastered tracks, recorded between 1945 and 1952 for the Savoy label. This is the era that Dizzy outgrew his all-star sideman status as trumpeter in Billy Eckstine's big band to become a first-rate bandleader, innovator, and showman in his own right. At this time he began to formulate three new directions in jazz: bebop, big-band bebop, and Afro-Cuban jazz. Of particular interest are six tracks that earmark the remarkably lucid and rapid-fire interplay of bebop invention between Dizzy and Charlie Parker, especially on three Gillespie-penned standards: "Salt Peanuts," "Groovin' High," and "Dizzy Atmosphere." Also of note are early appearances by future jazz stalwarts including tenor saxophonist John Coltrane, vibraphonist Milt Jackson, guitarist Kenny Burrell, and trumpeter Kenny Dorham. Even though Gettin' Dizzy: The High Flying Dizzy Gillespie is by no means a complete representation of those evolutionary years, it does provide an excellent snapshot marking the inceptive brilliance of Dizzy Gillespie. ~ Al Campbell
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Tiny Grimes And His Rockin' Highlanders, Volume 2 (CD)(5)
$1.98 on SALE