Dave Brubeck Time Out - 50th Anniversary Legacy Edition (2-CD + DVD)
|You Save:||$0.50 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: May 26, 2009
- Label: Sony Legacy
Q - 3/95, p.1124 Stars (out of 5) - "...Whilst other jazz innovators mapped out new harmonic and melodic realms, Brubeck and his band were forging time signatures anew, giving the music the wonky grace of a gazelle running the 200 metre hurdles..."
Down Beat - p.614 stars out of 5 -- "Both 'Kathy's Waltz' and 'Strange Meadow Lark' contain melodies and moods that keep one hearing new things time and again..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/99, p.131"...superb remastering puts you in the room and brings out all the shimmer of Joe Morello's drums. Jazz-lite it may be, but jazz-lite has seldom been bettered."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.835 stars out of 5 -- "Brubeck's music employed unorthodox time signatures that owed more to western classical music, perhaps, than jazz....TIME OUT sounds as fresh and vibrant as it must have done back in 1959."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Blue Rondo A La Turk (Album Version)
- 2.Strange Meadow Lark (Album Version)
- 3.Take Five (Album Version)
- 4.Three To Get Ready (Album Version)
- 5.Kathy's Waltz (Album Version)
- 6.Everybody's Jumpin' (Album Version)
- 7.Pick Up Sticks (Album Version)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.St. Louis Blues - (previously unreleased)
- 2.Waltz Limp - (previously unreleased)
- 3.Since Love Had Its Way - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Koto Song - (previously unreleased)
- 5.Pennies From Heaven - (previously unreleased)
- 6.You Go To My Head - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Blue Rondo a La Turk - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Take Five - (previously unreleased)
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Dave Brubeck On Time Out
- 2.Photo Gallery
- 3.Interactive Piano Demonstration
Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Eugene Wright (bass); Joe Morello (drums).
Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studios, New York, New York on June 25, July 1 & August 18, 1959. Includes liner notes by Dave Brubeck and Steve Race.
Dave Brubeck/The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Eugene Wright (double bass, upright bass); Joe Morello (drums).
Audio Mixer: Mark Wilder.
Audio Remasterer: Mark Wilder.
Liner Note Author: Ted Gioia.
Dave Brubeck's TIME OUT ranks alongside Miles Davis' KIND OF BLUE as one of the few advanced jazz masterpieces to achieve great commercial success. In fact, the widespread popularity of TIME OUT, with its cool-toned ambience, smooth style, and elements borrowed from classical music, helped make modern jazz a mainstream phenomenon.
The ubiquitous "Take Five" may be overplayed, but that doesn't diminish the joy of its complex melodic hooks, its perfectly executed solos, or the swinging slink of its 5/4 signature. "Blue Rondo a la Turk" collages Mozart, cool swing, and Brubeck's own classically oriented piano style, and the airy, delicate "Everybody's Jumpin'" showcases the lyrical splendor of saxophonist Paul Desmond. With bassist Gene Wright and drummer Joe Morello keeping the tricky rhythms agile and swift, the Dave Brubeck Quartet blended complexity and accessibility for pure jazz pleasure on TIME OUT, an album everyone should own.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 266 ratings.
Based on 266 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- The Ohio Express Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE