Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book (2-CD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$13.58 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.41 (15% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 17, 2008
- Label: Essential Jazz Class
Down Beat - 5/15/585 Stars - Excellent - "...She seems wholly free, soaring, and swooping with the band....An absolute must in any library..."
- 1.Cotton Tail [3:27]
- 2.Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me [7:43]
- 3.Just A - Sittin' and A - Rockin' [3:34]
- 4.Solitude [2:09]
- 5.Rocks In My Bed [3:59]
- 6.Satin Doll [3:29]
- 7.Sophisticated Lady [5:20]
- 8.Just Squeeze Me (But Don'T Tease Me) [4:17]
- 9.It Don'T Mean A Thing (If It Ain'T Got That Swing) [4:15]
- 10.Azure [2:22]
- 11.I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart [4:11]
- 12.In A Sentimental Mood [2:47]
- 13.Don'T Get Around Much Anymore [5:02]
- 14.Prelude To A Kiss [5:29]
- 15.Mood Indigo [3:28]
- 16.In A Mellow Tone [5:11]
- 17.Love You Madly [4:41]
- 18.Lush Life [3:40]
- 19.Squatty Roo [3:41]
- 20.Rockin' In Rhythm [5:21]
- 21.Drop Me Off In Harlem [3:51] 03 Day Dream [4:01]
- 22.Caravan [3:55]
- 23.Take The A Train [6:41]
- 24.I Ain'T Got Nothin' But The Blues [4:43]
- 25.Clementine [2:40]
- 26.I Didn'T Know About You [4:13]
- 27.I'm Beginning o See The Light [3:27]
- 28.Lost In Meditation [3:27]
- 29.Perdido [6:12]
- 30.I'm Just A Lucky So and So [4:15]
- 31.All Too Soon [4:24]
- 32.Everything But You [2:57]
- 33.I Got It Bad (and That Ain'T Good) [6:15]
- 34.Blip - Blip [3:03]
- 35.Chelsea Bridge [3:24]
- 36.The E and D Blues (E For Ella, D For Duke) [4:50]
Contains over 40 songs and a 32 page booklet.
Discs 1 and 2 contain all of the material on the 3-disc DUKE ELLINGTON SONG BOOK collection. Disc 3 features previously unreleased recordings of Ellington and Strayhorn rehearsing with Fitzgerald and the orchestra.
Personnel includes: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Dizzy Gillespie, Herb Ellis, Clark Terry, Ben Webster, Harry Carney, Oscar Peterson, Johnny Hodges, Billy Strayhorn, Ray Brown, Paul Gonsalves.
Recorded in Hollywood, California and New York, New York in 1956 and 1957. Includes essay by Patricia Willard.
This is part of Verve's Master Edition series.
Personnel: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Barney Kessel (guitar); Stuff Smith (violin); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves, Ben Webster (tenor saxophone); Clark Terry, Dizzy Gillespie, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Duke Ellington, Oscar Peterson, Billy Strayhorn (piano); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Mark Mayer; John Tynan.
Recording information: Hollywood, CA (06/24/1957-06/27/1957); New York (06/24/1957-06/27/1957); Hollywood, CA (09/04/1956/10/17/1957); New York (09/04/1956/10/17/1957).
THE COMPLETE DUKE ELLINGTON SONGBOOK is a three-disc set containing all 38 songs recorded during the sessions for the original vinyl release of THE DUKE ELLINGTON SONGBOOK in 1956. Produced by the legendary Norman Granz, the sessions are simply remarkable, as they capture Fitzgerald at the height of her powers backed by the classic mid-'50s lineup of Ellington's orchestra, featuring Paul Gonsalves, Barney Kessel, and Ben Webster. Pianist extraordinaire Oscar Peterson even sits in. The songs are exquisite, of course. Duke Ellington and his musical partner Billy Strayhorn were possibly the finest songwriters in jazz history, and every track here is a classic. In particular, these renditions of "Prelude to a Kiss," "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," and "Lush Life" may be the definitive versions. This set is essential for all Fitzgerald and Ellington fans.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
Based on 18 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
And That Reminds Me / A Date With Della Reese (CD)(6)
$2.98 on SALE