James Brown Funky People, Part 1
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
- 1.Gimme Some More - The JB's
- 2.Pass The Peas - The JB's
- 3.Think (About It) - Lyn Collins
- 4.Givin' Up Food For Funk (Part 1) - The JB's
- 5.Mama Feelgood - Lyn Collins (mono)
- 6.Hot Pants Road - The JB's
- 7.Rock Me Again & Again & Again & Again & Again & Again - Lyn Collins
- 8.Damn Right I Am Somebody (Parts 1 & 2) - Fred Wesley & The JB's
- 9.Take Me Just As I Am - Lyn Collins
- 10.If You Don't Get It Right The First Time, Back Up and Try It Again, Party - Fred Wesley & The JB's
- 11.Parrty (Part 1) - Maceo & The Macks
- 12.It's The JB's Monaurail (Part 1), (It's Not The Express) - Fred & The New JB's
- 13.Same Beat (Part 1) - Fred Wesley & The JB's
Compilation producer: Tim Rogers.
Includes liner notes by Cliff White.
The first in the wildly popular three-disc series, James Brown's Funky People is an outstandingly chunky collection that spotlights some of the many talented musicians associated with James Brown and his early- to mid-'70s People Records imprint. The material comprising this disc is split primarily between the J.B.'s, Fred Wesley both with and without the J.B.'s, and one of funk's original divas, Lyn Collins. "Gimme Some More," "Pass the Peas," "Givin' up Food for Funk (Part 1)," and "Hot Pants Road" are the J.B.'s' offerings, spectacular studio recordings that highlight some of the band's best material for the label -- material which at the time was often passed over in favor of their "proper" James Brown recordings. Fred Wesley, meanwhile, weighs in with the CD-only long version of "Damn Right, I Am Somebody (Parts 1 & 2)," before joining the J.B.'s on three more tracks, including the epic "(It's Not the Express) It's the J.B.'s Monaurail (Part 1)." This particular song, credited to Fred and the New J.B.'s, was recorded during one of the more traumatic times in the James Brown camp and, when compared to the other classics on this CD, doesn't have the same spark or fire. And if anyone questioned the odd spelling in the title, the band's request that if you don't know what a monorail is "check out Seattle" clears up any doubt. The Lyn Collins tracks feature a mono version of "Mama Feelgood" and the outstanding "Think (About It)," a song that would become an iconoclastic symbol of the funk era, heavily sampled by over 40 artists during the 1980s and 1990s. Included, too, is the bonus "Same Beat (Part 1)," recorded by Wesley and the J.B.'s on September 7, 1973, in New York. ~ Amy Hanson
Saturday Night Live - Lost & Found: SNL in the 80s (DVD)
$4.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE