The JB's Funky Good Time: The Anthology (2-CD)
11 copies available
|You Save:||$2.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: February 28, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Imports
The Source - 5/95, p.68"...you'll be able to trace their progression from gentle balladry to raucous soul to sinewy funk to the more avant garde direction on recent releases....FUNKY GOOD TIME: THE ANTHOLOGY will also teach listeners everything they need to know about good Black music..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Introduction To The J.B.'s / Doing It To Death - (complete version)
- 2.Grunt, The (Parts 1 & 2)
- 3.My Brother (Parts 1 & 2)
- 4.Pass The Peas
- 5.Gimme Some More
- 6.J.B. Shout
- 7.Blessed Blackness
- 8.Hot Pants Road
- 9.Givin' Up Food For Funk (Parts 1 & 2)
- 10.Honky Tonk (Part 1)
- 11.Dirty Harri
- 12.Watermelon Man
- 13.Parrty (Parts 1 & 2)
- 14.You Can Have Watergate But Gimme Some Bucks And I'll Be Straight
- 15.More Peas - (complete version)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Gimme Some More - (previously unreleased, live)
- 2.Same Beat (Parts 1, 2 & 3)
- 3.If You Don't Get It The First Time, Back Up And Try It Again, Party
- 4.Damn Right I Am Somebody
- 5.I'm Payin' Taxes, What Am I Buyin'
- 6.Soul Power '74
- 7.Keep On Bumpin' Before You Give Out Of Gas
- 8.Breakin' Bread
- 9.Rockin' Funky Watergate
- 10.Control (People Go Where We Send You) (Part 1)
- 11.Cross The Track (We Better Go Back)
- 12.All Aboard The Soul Funky Train
- 13.It's The J.B.'s Monaurail, (It's Not The Express)
- 14.Future Shock (Dance Your Pants Off)
- 15.Everybody Wanna Get Funky One More Time (Part 1)
Personnel includes: James Brown (vocals, organ, synthesizer, drums); Lyn Collins, Vicki Anderson (vocals); Phelps "Catfish" Collins, Hearlon "Cheese" Martin, Jimmy Nolen (guitar); Jimmy Parker (alto saxophone); Maceo Parker (alto saxophone, flute); St. Clair Pinckney (tenor saxophone); Darryl "Hasaan" Jamison, Jerone "Jasaan" Sanford, Russell Crimes, Isaiah "Ike" Oakley (trumpet); Fred Wesley (trombone, vocals); Bobby Byrd (piano); Dave Matthews (electric piano, organ); William "Bootsy" Collins, Fred Thomas (bass); John "Jabo" Starks (drums); Johnny Griggs (congas).
Producers: James Brown, Charles Bobbit, Don Love, Fred Wesley.
Compilation producer: Harry Weinger.
Recorded from 1970 to 1976. Includes liner notes by Alan Leeds.
Personnel: Jimmy Nolen (vocals, guitar, background vocals); Robert Coleman (vocals, guitar); Maceo Parker (vocals, flute, alto saxophone, background vocals); Jimmy Parker (vocals, alto saxophone); St. Clair Pinckney (vocals, tenor saxophone, background vocals); Russell Crimes, Lee Austin, Lyn Collins (vocals, trumpet); Fred Wesley (vocals, trombone, background vocals); James Brown (vocals, piano, organ, synthesizer, tambourine, background vocals); Sweet Charles Sherrell (vocals, Clavinet, background vocals); John Starks (vocals, drums, background vocals); Johnny Griggs (vocals, congas); John Morgan (vocals, percussion); Fred Thomas (vocals, background vocals); Martha High, Vicki Anderson, Bob Both (vocals); Hearlon "Cheese" Martin (guitar, background vocals); Hugh McCracken, Joe Beck , Phelps "Catfish" Collins (guitar); Joe Farrell (flute, tenor saxophone); David Sanborn (alto saxophone); Eldee Williams (tenor saxophone, background vocals); Robert McCollough (tenor saxophone); Pee Wee Ellis (baritone saxophone); Isiah "Ike" Oakley, Jerone "Jasaan Sanford" Melson, Darryl "Hasaan" Jamison (trumpet, background vocals); Clayton "Chicken" Gunnells, Jon Faddis, Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm, Randy Brecker (trumpet); Michael Gipson (trombone); Bobby Byrd (piano, tambourine); David Matthews (electric piano, organ); Frankie "Kash" Waddy, Alfred Thomas, Jimmy Madison, Allan Schwartzberg (drums); Tasha Thomas (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Alan Leeds.
Recording information: Bobby Smith (05/13/1970-02/24/1976); International Studios, Augusta, GA (05/13/1970-02/24/1976); King Studios, Cincinatti, OH (05/13/1970-02/24/1976); Starday Studios, Nashville, TN (05/13/1970-02/24/1976).
Arrangers: Fred Wesley; James Brown; Maceo Parker.
The J.B.'s recorded under various billings in the early '70s, including the J.B.'s, Fred Wesley & the J.B.'s, Maceo & the Macks, the First Family, the Last Word, and others. This double CD gathers 30 of the prime tracks by all of the above configurations from the first half of the '70s, including all nine of their chart hits and quite a few rare singles and long versions. Often, James Brown himself chips in with incidental vocals (though this is mostly instrumental) and keyboards. The two-and-a-half-hour program can start to sound monotonous if taken all at once, but it's prime, often riveting funk, jammed with lockstep grooves that vary between basic R&B vamps and imaginative, almost jazzy improvisation. ~ Richie Unterberger
James BrownThe Best of Volume 2 - 20th Century Masters / Millennium...
$4.28 Super Savings
Johnny "Guitar" WatsonThe Best of The Okeh Years (Featuring Larry Williams & The...
$10.98 on SALE
James BrownFoundations of Funk - A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (2-CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 37 ratings.
Based on 37 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$8.84 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE