Jesse Belvin Guess Who: The RCA Victor Recordings (2-CD)
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$16.04 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.95 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 4, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Ace Records UK
Uncut - p.1283 stars out of 5 - "Belvin pioneered the smooth soul style Sam Cooke would make famous."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Secret Love
- 2.Love Is Here to Stay
- 3.Ol' Man River
- 4.Now You Know
- 5.Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart
- 6.Guess Who?
- 8.My Funny Valentine
- 10.Take Me Back to the Island
- 11.(I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over
- 12.Alright, Okay, You Win
- 13.Ever Since We Met
- 14.Pledging My Love
- 15.My Girl Is Just Enough Woman for Me
- 16.Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)
- 17.Old MacDonald
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Give Me Love
- 2.I'll Never Be Lonely Again
- 3.The Door Is Always Open
- 4.It Could Have Been Worse
- 5.Here's a Heart
- 6.It's All Right With Me
- 7.Something Happens to Me
- 8.What's New?
- 9.In the Still of the Night
- 10.Blues in the Night
- 11.Let There Be Love
- 13.The Best Is Yet to Come
- 14.Makin' Whoopee
- 15.Angel Eyes
- 16.I'll Buy You a Star
- 17.The Very Thought of You
- 18.My Last Goodbye
Personnel: Marty Paich, Red Callender, Russ Freeman , Art Pepper.
Arranger: Jesse Belvin.
This two-CD anthology does Belvin fans and collectors a mighty favor by collecting all of his RCA recordings into one release. It includes everything from both of his albums for the label; almost a dozen songs from non-LP 45s; one track, "My Last Goodbye," that didn't come out until a posthumous 1966 LP; and both sides of a 1958 single by the Chargers on which Belvin sang. However, those who value Belvin primarily as an R&B singer and soul forerunner might be taken aback, and quite possibly disappointed, by the overtly adult pop nature of many of these sides, particularly the ones from the two albums (1959's Just Jesse Belvin and 1960's Mr. Easy). It's been said by many others, but it's true, that Belvin sounds very much like he's trying to edge in on Nat King Cole's territory on these lushly produced numbers, which in reality owe barely anything to rock & roll or R&B. Belvin did that style well, but it's not what he did best, and it's not what he did on his most exciting recordings. You hear more of that soul/R&B -- albeit tempered with a fairly heavy pop influence and production -- on the singles, including "Guess Who" (his only Top 40 pop hit) and his cover of "Pledging My Love." Even on those singles, however, he was venturing into some pretty mainstream sounds, going as far as to tackle "Volare." It's enough to make one wonder whether Belvin would have stuck with rock and soul had he not died young, though the odd song like "It Could Have Been Worse" proved he retained his feel for bluesy material. This compilation might be necessary to gain a fully rounded picture of Belvin's career, but certainly his earlier Modern recordings are both better and more indicative of why he's highly regarded by early rock & roll fans. ~ Richie Unterberger
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
R&B: Soul Music Categories:
- The 5th Dimension The Age of Aquarius (CD) ~ $5.97 CYBER WEEK
- The 5th Dimension Aquarius Let The Sunshine In (CD) ~ $10.79 CYBER WEEK
- The 5th Dimension The Essential 5th Dimension (2-CD) ~ $12.85 CYBER WEEK
- The 5th Dimension Greatest Hits on Earth (CD) ~ $5.97 CYBER WEEK
- The 5th Dimension The Magic Garden (CD) ~ $13.99 CYBER WEEK
Ace Records UK Labels:
- The "5" Royales It's Hard But It's Fair: King Hits and Rarities (CD) ~ $16.11 CYBER WEEK
- Nathan Abshire Master of the Cajun Accordion: The Classic Swallow Recordings (CD) ~ $12.35 CYBER WEEK
- Roy Acuff Sings American Folk Songs / Hand-Clapping Gospel Songs (CD) ~ $12.35 CYBER WEEK
- Arthur Alexander The Greatest (CD) ~ $12.35 CYBER WEEK
- Johnnie Allan Promised Land (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER WEEK