Spike Jones Spiked!: The Music of Spike Jones
|You Save:||$0.79 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: April 12, 1994
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: RCA
Rolling Stone - 9/22/94, p.924 Stars - Excellent - "...a broad overview of Jones' career through rare and obscure tracks dating from one of his first recordings, 'Red Wing' (1941), to his final studio effort, 'Frantic Freeway' (1961)...."
- 1.Hotcha Cornia (Black Eyes)
- 3.Serenade to a Jerk
- 4.Knock Knock (Who's There?)
- 5.Holiday For Strings
- 7.I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight
- 8.Baby Buggie Boogie
- 9.Red Wing
- 11.Deep Purple
- 12.The Man on the Flying Trapeze
- 13.I Dream of Brownie With the Light Blue Jeans
- 14.Our Hour (The Puppy Love Song)
- 15.I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
- 16.Powerhouse - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Frantic Freeway - (previously unreleased)
- 18.The Little Girl's Dream (Part 1) / Miniature Overture / March
- 19.Land Of The Sugar Plum Fairy (Part 2) / Lemon Drop Waltz / Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy
- 20.Chinese Dolls / The Fairy Ball (Part 3) / Chinese Dance / Dance Of The Flutes
- 21.The Mysterious Room (Part 4) / The Forbidden Room / Arab Dance
- 22.Back To The Fairy Ball (Part 5) / They Dance On The Seat Of Their Pants / Russian Dance / Waltz Of The Flowers
- 23.End Of The Little Girl's Dream (Part 6) / Granny Speaks / Goodnight, Sleep Tight
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
SPIKED! is a compilation of various Spike Jones recordings--some previously
unreleased--with His City Slickers and with His Other Orchestra.
Spike Jones & His City Slickers includes: Spike Jones (drums, percussion); Judie Manners, Red Ingle, Doodles Weaver, Sir Frederick Gas, George Rock, Freddy Morgan, Dick Morgan, The Four Fifths, Jimmy Cassidy, Dr. Horaio Q Birdbath, Gil Bert, Del Porter, The Rhythmaires, Paul Frees, Carl Grayson, The Barefooted Pennsylvanians, Susan Scott (vocals).
Additional personnel includes: Homer & Jethro; Spike Jones & His Other Orchestra.
Recorded between 1941 and 1961. Includes liner notes by Thomas Pynchon and Tim Page.
Spike Jones, probably the only band leader who ever conducted with a starter pistol, was an aural Dadaist years ahead of his time. He brought the art of pop and classical music parody to its absolute apogee. Along with his crack band, the City Slickers, Jones also bequeathed several new instruments to the traditional orchestra, among them the latrineophone (a toilet seat strung with catgut).
This Jones anthology, released (oddly or appropriately enough) by BMG's avant-garde classical label, is interestingly programmed, with just a few of Jones' big hits ("Pal-Yat-Chee," "Laura," "Holiday For Strings") surrounded by more obscure sides. But just about everything here is either hysterical or musically brilliant--or both. As a bonus, SPIKED also includes an insightful liner note appreciation of Jones by the normally elusive Thomas Pynchon.
WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 3 (CD)(8)
$8.49 on SALE
Breakfast in Hollywood (1946) / Minstrel Men (1944) (DVD)(2)
Omniburst / 60 Years of Music America Hates Best (CD)(5)
$8.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!