- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 31, 2006
- Originally Released: 1964
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Premiere - 04/01/2004
"[A] gem of madcap mayhem..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Meet Inspector Jacques Clouseau, the bumbling French detective whose career is one gigantic banana peel. Showcasing the comic genius of Peter Sellers, this "delightful caper" (Leonard Maltin) brims with "winning charm" (The Film Daily) and clever slapstick. David Niven, Robert Wagner and Capucine co-star in the sidesplitting film that launched one of the greatest comedy series of all time!
Meet Inspector Jacques Clouseau - the bumbling French detective whose career is one gigantic banana peel. Showcasing the comic genius of Peter Sellers, this "delightful caper" (Leonard Maltin) brimswith "winning charm" (The Film Daily) and clever slapstick. David Niven, Robert Wagner and Capucineco-star in the sidesplitting film that launched one of the greatest comedy series of all time! Arriving at an Italian ski resort with a large diamond known as the Pink Panther, Princess Dala (Claudia Cardinale) encounters the suave Sir Charles (Niven), who also happens to be the notorious jewel thief The Phantom. Can Clouseau (Sellers), the clumsiest inspector ever to trip over a case, stop Sir Charles' plot...or will The Phantom steal the "cat" and leave Clouseau holding the bag'
Source: 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Peter Sellers introduces Inspector Clouseau, a role he repeated in many sequels. Here the bungling French policeman is assigned to catch a jewel thief known as the Phantom. Academy Award Nominations: Best (Original) Score (Henry Mancini).
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: January 9, 1964.
- Filmed in Technirama, a process developed by Technicolor used from 1956 to 1967.
- British actor Peter Sellers makes his debut as the character of Inspector Jacques Clouseau in this, the first of 5 PINK PANTHER films.