Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot, Volume 2 (Live)
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$6 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 2, 2009
- Label: Prestige
- 2.Like Someone in Love
- 3.Number Eight (Polka Lotsa) (Bonus)
- 4.Booker's Waltz (Bonus)
Personnel: Eric Dolphy (flute, bass clarinet); Booker Little (trumpet); Mal Waldron (piano); Richard Davis (bass); Ed Blackwell (drums).
Recorded live at The Five Spot, New York, New York on July 16, 1961. Originally released on Prestige (7294).
The 2009 reissue of Eric Dolphy's landmark AT THE FIVE SPOT VOL. 2 includes two bonus tracks, "Number Eight (Potsa Lotsa)" and "Booker's Waltz," which originally comprised the Eric Dolphy-Booker Little MEMORIAL ALBUM, released posthumously in 1964.
Personnel: Eric Dolphy (flute, bass clarinet, alto saxophone); Booker Little (trumpet); Mal Waldron (piano); Richard Davis (upright bass); Ed Blackwell (drums).
Reed player/composer/arranger Eric Dolphy was, in the early '60s, in the vanguard of the free jazz movement, yet his music was not as avant-garde as some of his contemporaries'. Dolphy played with a freer, more vocalized approach, yet he did this over more or less standard chord changes.
Recorded in 1961, the AT THE FIVE SPOT series of albums documents what may have been Dolphy's finest group ever, as well as one of that era's best working bands. This quintet plays beautifully as a unit in extended performances of originals and standards, making tunes such as "Like Someone in Love" their own. Dolphy's flute is exquisitely lyrical, and Booker Little's trumpet is crisp and brassy, full of yearning and insight. Richard Davis and Ed Blackwell maintain a relaxed yet engaging swing, and Mal Waldron plays with an attractive, Thelonious Monk-like succinctness. "Aggression" features Dolphy with his unique sound on bass clarinet, but it's Little who shines the brightest--he has the shining technique of a Clifford Brown, and his daring approach and bristling, vocal tone prefigures Lester Bowie, Leo Smith, and other "new jazz" trumpet voices of the later '60s.
Miles DavisMiles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3...
$42.51 LABOR DAY
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 9) (2-CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 23,064
- UPC: 888072313392
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$9.38 Super Savings
Jazz Instrument: Avant-Garde / Downtown Music Categories:
- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra Passages (CD) ~ $15.39 LABOR DAY
- Muhal Richard Abrams Levels and Degrees of Light (CD) ~ $10.77 LABOR DAY
- Muhal Richard Abrams Things to Come From Those Now Gone (CD) ~ $10.77 LABOR DAY
- Muhal Richard Abrams Young at Heart / Wise in Time (CD) ~ $14.26 LABOR DAY
- Accordion Tribe Lunghorn Twist (CD) ~ $15.16 LABOR DAY
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE