McCoy Tyner Jazz Roots: McCoy Tyner Honors Jazz Piano Legends of the 20th Century (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 1, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Telarc
Down Beat - 5/01, pp.65-64.5 stars out of 5 - "...Ravishing melodies....the mood is playful, ruminative, light, suffused with blues feeling, and animated by the imperative discovery - in a word, free..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 4/01, p.107"...Exposes his wise old chops to the pitfalls of solo piano and emerges triumphant..."
- 1.Night In Tunisia, A - (dedicated to Bud Powell)
- 3.My Foolish Heart - (dedicated to Bill Evans)
- 4.Don't Get Around Much Anymore
- 5.Blues For Fatha - (dedicated to Earl Fatha Hines)
- 6.Sweet And Lovely (dedicated to Art Tatum)
- 7.Lullaby Of Birdland
- 8.You Taught My Heart To Sing
- 9.Happy Days - (dedicated to Keith Jarrett)
- 10.Rio - (dedicated to Chick Corea)
- 12.St. Louis Blues
- 13.Ain't Misbehavin'
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Solo performer: McCoy Tyner (piano).
Recorded at Ambient Recording Studio, Stamford, Connecticut on June 13 & 14, 2000. Includes liner notes by Bob Blumenthal.
Liner Note Author: Bob Blumenthal.
Recording information: Ambient Recording Studio, Stamford, CT (06/13/2000-06/14/2000).
Editors: Andrew Mendelson; Mark Robertson-Tessi.
Jazz Roots: McCoy Tyner Honors Jazz Piano Legends of the 20th Century is an adventurous solo piano tribute primarily devoted to recreating the roots of jazz. The legendary pianist performs 14 compositions written by such jazz pianists as Thelonius Monk, Bud Powell, Duke Ellington, Art Tatum George Gershwin, Chick Corea, and Keith Jarrett. Tyner seeks nothing less than a variety of jazz styles ranging from the stride of ragtime to the syncopation and blue notes of mainstream. He finds a supply of strides, shimmering arpeggios, pianissimo, impressionist harmonies, undulating rhythms, and rhapsodic sonic grace on great songs such as "Ain't Misbehavin'," "Sweet and Lovely," "Lullaby of Birdland," "Happy Days," and "You Taught My Heart to Sing." The songs and artists McCoy Tyner has selected to pay tribute to are all great examples of his excellent ability to blend these various sources of inspiration and his compositional integrity into a coherent, persuasive whole. Nowhere is this clearer or more meaningful than on these solo concerts. ~ Paula Edelstein
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE