Bud Shank European Tour 57 [Import]
- Released: July 10, 2006
- Label: Lonehill Jazz Spain
- 1.Vielaf - Bob Cooper, Bud Shank
- 2.For Bud - Bob Cooper, Bud Shank
- 3.Mademoiselle Butterfly - Bob Cooper, Bud Shank
- 4.Night in Tunisia - Bob Cooper, Bud Shank
- 5.Stairway to the Stars / That's All / Easy Living / Lover Man - Bob Cooper, Bud Shank
- 6.Boop - Boop - Be - Doop - Bud Shank
- 7.I'll Remember April - Bud Shank
- 8.Indian Summer - Bud Shank
- 9.Polka Dots and Moonbeams - Bud Shank
- 10.Yardbird Suite - Bud Shank
Personnel: Bud Shank (flute, alto saxophone); Attila Zoller (guitar); Bob Cooper (oboe, tenor saxophone); Albert Mangelsdorff (trombone); Joe Zawinul (piano); Karl Sanner (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Arthur Kramer; Bud Shank.
Recording information: 03/25/1957-05/??/1957.
The music on this CD and the three others that have been released by Lone Hill Jazz that document Bud Shank and Bob Cooper's European tours of 1957 and 1958 are almost completely previously unissued. The recording quality is mostly excellent and this CD has two very interesting sessions. The first five selections, which include a four-song ballad medley, have altoist Shank and tenor saxophonist Cooper playing in a sextet that also includes trombonist Albert Mangelsdorff (whose avant-garde days were more than five years away) and the Joe Zawinul trio. Mangelsdorff and Zawinul both display their comfort playing bebop while Shank and Cooper are the main stars. The other five numbers showcase Shank in a group headed by tenor saxophonist Hans Koller; guitarist Attila Zoller co-stars. One wonders why this valuable music went unissued for nearly half-a-century for it features all of the musicians in top form. ~ Scott Yanow
Against the Tide: Portrait of a Jazz Legend (With Bonus CD) (DVD)(2)
$12.58 Super Savings
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!