Live at the Playboy Jazz Festival
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$12 (67% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Mel Torme ~ In the Studio and in Concert (Live) (2-CD) ~ $17.08
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 18, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Playboy Jazz
- 1.Opus 1
- 2.I Had The Craziest Dream / Darn That Dream
- 3.I'm Gonna Go Fishin'
- 4.Sophisticated Lady / I Didn't Know About You
- 5.It Don't Mean A Thing
- 6.Stompin' At The Savoy / Don't Be That Way / And The Angels Sing / Why Don't You Do Right / Avalon / Sing Sing Sing
Personnel: Mel Torme (vocals); John Colianni (piano); John Leitham (bass); Ray Anthony Big Band.
Recorded live at the Playboy Jazz Festival, Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, California in June 1993. Includes liner notes by Hugh Hefner.
Personnel: Mel Torm‚ (vocals); Salvadore Lozano, Kevin Anthony, Lee Callet, Roger Neumann, Bob Efford (saxophone); Ray Anthony Orchestra, George Graham, Wayne Bergeron, Frank Szabo, Ramon Flores (trumpet); Morris Repass, Andy Martin , Bill Tole, Lloyd Ulyate (trombone); John Colianni, Tom Ranier (piano); Frank Capp, Donny Osborne (drums).
Liner Note Authors: A. James Liska; Hugh Hefner.
Recording information: Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, CA (06/1993).
Three years before a stroke ended Mel Torm‚'s career, he appeared with his trio and Ray Anthony & His Big Band at the 1993 Playboy Jazz Festival, though the CD wasn't issued until some nine years later. Torm‚ sounds as if he has just a touch of hoarseness, though he never fluffs a note and his rhythm is flawless during the set, though it relies rather too heavily on medleys. The cavernous sound quality of playing in the bandshell and the somewhat poor mix (the big band occasionally nearly drowns out Torm‚) are also a bit distracting. Those reservations aside, the veteran is full of energy, especially in his swinging arrangement of Duke Ellington's "I'm Gonna Go Fishin'," and he scats up a storm in "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)." Torm‚'s pianist, John Colianni, is a consummate accompanist, and the big band has a few strong soloists, though none of them are identified. It would be difficult to label this as one of the best releases by Mel Torm‚ during the latter part of his career since there are many far better live recordings available through Concord, but fans of the Velvet Fog will want to pick up this previously unreleased disc as well. ~ Ken Dryden
Mel TormeTwo Darn Hot: A Night at the Concord Pavilion / Live at the... (CD)
$15 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 44,210
- UPC: 013431750826
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Mozart: The Beneficient Dervish / The Impresario (CD)(4)
$5.98 on SALE
Pop Vocal: Show Vocals Music Categories:
- Karen Akers Feels Like Home (CD) ~ $16.50
- Karen Akers Unchained Melodies (CD) ~ $12.77
- Harry Allen / Joe Cohn Plays Music from South Pacific (CD) ~ $9.89
- Julie Andrews Broadway: The Music of Richard Rodgers (CD) ~ $17.08
Julie Andrews / Carol Burnett The CBS Television Specials: Live at Carnegie Hall/ Live at Lincoln Center (2-CD) ~
$14.53 Super Savings
Chet Baker Playboys [Deluxe Digi-Sleeve Edition] (CD) ~
$12.35 Super Savings
- The Marvelettes Playboy (180GV) (LP) ~ $16.96
Henry Mancini Playboy Themes (CD) ~
$9.90 Super Savings
Tony Palmer's 1973 Film About Hugh Hefner, The Founder and Editor of Playboy (DVD) ~
$14.07 Super Savings
- Omar & The Howlers Big Time Playboy (CD) ~ $14.39