Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen & West Side Story
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 30, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Fantasy
- 1.Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
- 2.Ill Wind (You're Blowin' Me No Good)
- 3.When the Sun Comes Out
- 4.Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe
- 5.I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues
- 6.Come Rain or Come Shine
- 7.Over the Rainbow
- 8.Out of This World
- 9.Last Night When We Were Young
- 10.The Man That Got Away
- 11.Blues in the Night
- 12.Prologue / Jet Song
- 13.Something's Coming
- 14.Maria Interlude
- 19.One Hand, One Heart
- 20.I Feel Pretty / Somewhere
2 LPs on 1 CD: PLAYS HAROLD ARLEN (1961)/WEST SIDE STORY (1960).
Personnel includes: Cal Tjader (vibraphone); Clare Fischer (arranger, piano, celeste); Buddy Motsinger, Lonnie Hewitt (piano); Al McKibbon, Red Mitchell (bass); Willie Bobo (drums, timbales); Shelly Manne, Johnny Rae (drums); Mongo Santamaria (congas).
Recorded on June 1-2 & October 18, 1960.
Two Tjader albums recorded in 1960, Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen and West Side Story, are combined on one CD on this 2002 reissue. Using two separate backup trios on Cal Tjader Plays Harold Arlen, Tjader took on 11 Harold Arlen songs (actually all songs that he co-wrote) for these two days of mid-1960 sessions, with "Over the Rainbow" and "Blues in the Night" being the most well known of those. On the first six tracks, he's backed by Buddy Motsinger on piano, Al McKibbon on bass, and Willie Bobo on drums. On the other five, Motsinger remains while bassist Red Mitchell and drummer Johnny Rae become the rhythm section; a string section on harp augments these five tracks as well. Although these are well-crafted interpretations, the constant ballad tempos and languorous mood get sluggish taken one after the other. Clare Fischer's tense orchestral arrangements actually add a bit of wakeup spice to the latter part of the program, even as they heighten the sentimentality factor in some respects. West Side Story also employs orchestral Fischer arrangements, this time the whole way through. It's not the best envisioning of the classic musical, but it's OK. Tjader's vibes seem more appropriate for some tracks -- the jazzier ones, naturally, like "The Jet Song" and "Cool" -- than the more melodramatic ones. Mongo Santamaria's conga is heard on "Tonight," one of the better numbers, as well as "America," though some portions of the original score were omitted from the overall interpretation. ~ Richie Unterberger
Cal TjaderOur Blues: Concert on the Campus / Cal Tjader (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Explorations: Classic Picante Regrooved, Volume 1 (CD)
$5.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE