Warner Archive Collection (series)
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 25, 2011
- Originally Released: 1935
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
- PCM Mono - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||William Powell, Franchot Tone, May Robson, Ted Healy, Nat Pendleton, Rosalind Russell, Henry Stephenson, Leon Waycoff & Mickey Rooney|
|Directed by||Victor Fleming|
|Edited by||Margaret Booth|
|Written by||P.J. Wolfson|
|Composition by||Victor Baravalle|
|Cinematography by||George J. Folsey|
|Produced by||David O. Selznick|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The film is also notable for its Jerome Kern-Oscar Hammerstein title tune (Harlow, whose considerable skills didn't extend beyond acting, was dubbed and body doubled in the musical numbers), plus a cast that includes Franchot Tone, Rosalind Russell, and as a hotshot promoter, William Powell, who would become the last love of Harlow's tragically short life.
- Released theatrically April 19, 1935.
- The film's original star, Joan Crawford, was pulled from the film just a week before production began. Harlow felt the change in casting was based upon ther recent suicide of her own husband and didn't want to do the film. According to William Powell, Harlow did the film only out of fear that if she refused the part, a suspension from her contract would add to the already poor publicity surrounding her husband's death.
- Producer Selznick's story was based on the life of singer Libby Holman, who was accused of murder when her millionaire husband, Zachary Smith Reynolds II, committed suicide. RECKLESS was Selznick's second and last musical--he disliked the genre.
- The story is credited to writer Oliver Jeffries, a pseudonym for producer David O. Selznick.
- Some sources claim that Virginia Verrill dubbed Jean Harlow's voice in the musical numbers, but others insist that Harlow did her own singing, except for the difficult high notes.
- Songs include:
"Ev'rything's Been Done Before," music by jack King, lyrics by Edwin Knopf and Harold Adamson
"Hear What My Heart Is Saying," music by Burton Lane, lyrics by Harold Adamson
"Reckless," music by Jerome Kern, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 36,104
- UPC: 883316340868
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item