Sonny Stitt Kaleidoscope
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Sonny Stitt ~ The Last Sessions, Volumes 1 & 2 ~ $10.78
- by Oliver Nelson ~ Meet Oliver Nelson ~ $10.56
- by Lester Young / Oscar Peterson ~ The President Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio ~ $17.08
- by Dizzy Gillespie / Sonny Rollins ~ Sonny Side Up ~ $17.08
- by Sonny Stitt ~ Sonny Stitt / Bud Powell / J.J. Johnson ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 15, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: OJC
- 1.Stitt's It
- 2.Cool Mambo
- 3.Blue Mambo
- 4.Sonny Sounds
- 5.Ain't Misbehavin'
- 7.P. S. I Love You
- 8.This Can't Be Love
- 11.Can't We Be Friends
- 12.Liza (All The Clouds'll Rollaway)
- 13.To Think You've Chosen Me - (bonus track)
- 14.After You've Gone - (bonus track)
- 15.Our Very Own - (bonus track)
- 16.S'Wonderful - (bonus track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sonny Stitt (alto & tenor saxophones); Joe Newman (trumpet); Kenny Drew, Junior Mance (piano); John Hunt, Billy Massey, Charlie Bateman, John Houston.
Originally released on Prestige (7077).
Deftly handling the alto, tenor, and baritone saxophone, bebop giant Sonny Stitt is heard to perfection here on a variety of early-'50s dates. Stitt not only shows off his patented speed throughout, but he goes a long way in dispelling criticisms of him being all fire and no grace. The 16-track disc kicks off with four tight, Latin-tinged swingers featuring an octet that includes trumpeter Joe Newman and timbales player Humberto Morales. Switching to piano quartet mode for the bulk of the disc, Stitt ranges effortlessly from frenetic blasts ("Cherokee") to golden-hued ballads ("Imagination"). Capping off the set with four bonus cuts featuring the likes of Gene Ammons and Junior Mance, Stitt delivers one of the top sets of performances from the late bebop era. ~ Stephen Cook
The Poll WinnersExploring the Scene (with Shelly Manne & Ray Brown) (CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
God Bless Jug and Sonny: Live at the Left Bank (CD)
Just in Case You Forgot How Bad He Really Was (Live) (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE