Sonny Stitt / Bud Powell / J.J. Johnson
17 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 21, 1990
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: OJC
- $0.99 on iTunes1.All God's Chillun Got Rhythm
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Sonny Side
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Bud's Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Sunset
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Fine And Dandy - (take 1)
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Fine And Dandy - (take 2)
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Strike Up The Band
- $0.99 on iTunes8.I Want To Be Happy
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Taking A Chance On Love
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Afternoon In Paris - (take 1, bonus track)
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Afternoon In Paris - (take 2)
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Elora - (take 1, bonus track)
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Elora - (take 2)
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Teapot - (take 1, bonus track)
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Teapot - (take 2)
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Blue Mode - (take 1)
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Blue Mode - (take 2)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Full performer name: Sonny Stitt/Bud Powell/J.J. Johnson.
Personnel: Sonny Stitt (tenor saxophone); Bud Powell (piano); J.J. Johnson (trombone); John Lewis (piano); Nelson Boyd, Curly Russell (bass); Max Roach (drums).
Tracks 1-4 recorded on December 11, 1949. Tracks 5-9 recorded on January 26, 1950. Tracks 10-17 recorded on October 17, 1949. Originally released on Prestige (7024). Includes liner notes by Mark Gardner and Ira Gitler.
Three classic Sonny Stitt sessions from 1949-50 are heard here in full. Stitt, who had been out of action due to his "personal problems," not only made a full-fledged comeback on these dates but debuted on (and stuck exclusively to) tenor rather than playing alto, where he was being assailed as a Charlie Parker imitator. He is featured on eight titles from a pair of quartet dates with pianist Bud Powell (who himself is in top form), bassist Curly Russell, and drummer Max Roach. In addition, Stitt is a sideman on a quintet outing headed by trombonist J.J. Johnson and also including pianist John Lewis, bassist Nelson Boyd, and Roach. Together the latter band performs three of Johnson's originals plus the original version of Lewis' "Afternoon in Paris"; all four titles are heard in two versions apiece. Highly recommended for all serious bop collections. ~ Scott Yanow
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
$1.98 on SALE