Sonny Stitt Stitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD Box Set)
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$24.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.79 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Sonny Stitt ~ The Last Sessions, Volumes 1 & 2 ~ $10.33
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Dizzy Gillespie / Sonny Rollins ~ Sonny Side Up ~ $17.08
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: July 25, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Prestige
JazzTimes - p.107"Sonny Stitt played on a higher level than 99 percent of all jazz saxophonists who've ever lived....An essential, even fascinating, document."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Afternoon in Paris - (Take 1)
- 2.Afternoon in Paris - (Take 2)
- 3.Elora - (Take 1)
- 4.Elora - (Take 2)
- 5.Teapot - (Take 1)
- 6.Teapot - (Take 2)
- 7.Blue Mode - (Take 1)
- 8.Blue Mode - (Take 2)
- 9.All God's Chillun Got Rhythm
- 10.Sonny Side
- 11.Bud's Blues
- 13.Strike Up the Band
- 14.Strike Up the Band - (alternate take, alternate)
- 15.I Want to Be Happy
- 16.Taking a Chance on Love
- 17.Fine and Dandy - (Take 1)
- 18.Fine and Dandy - (Take 2)
- 21.Ain't Misbehavin'
- 22.Mean to Me
- 23.Stairway to the Stars
- 24.Bye Bye
- 25.Let It Be
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Blues Up and Down - (Take 1)
- 2.Blues Up and Down - (Take 2)
- 3.Blues Up and Down - (Take 3)
- 4.You Can Depend on Me - (Take 1)
- 5.You Can Depend on Me - (Take 2)
- 6.Touch of the Blues
- 7.Dumb Woman Blues
- 9.Who Threw the Sleeping Pills in Rip Van Winkle's Coffee?
- 10.Gravy (aka Walkin')
- 11.Easy Glide
- 12.Count Every Star
- 13.Nice Work If You Can Get It
- 14.There Will Never Be Another You
- 16.Back in Your Own Back Yard
- 17.Sweet Jennie Lou
- 18.Vie en Rose, La
- 19.Seven Eleven
- 20.To Think You've Chosen Me
- 21.After You've Gone
- 22.Our Very Own
- 23.'S Wonderful
- 24.Stringin' the Jug
- 25.Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Jeepers Creepers
- 4.'Round About One A.M.
- 7.Blue and Sentimental
- 8.Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)
- 9.Can't We Be Friends
- 10.New Blues Up and Down
- 11.The Thrill of Your Kiss
- 12.If the Moon Turns Green
- 13.P.S. I Love You
- 14.This Can't Be Love
- 15.Down with It
- 16.For the Fat Man
- 20.(It Will Have to Do) Until the Real Thing Comes Along
- 21.Because of Rain
- 23.Cool Mambo
- 24.Sonny Sounds
- 25.Blue Mambo
- 26.Stitt's It
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sonny Stitt (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Teddy Williams, Larry Townsend (vocals); Joe Newman Quartet , Bill Massey (trumpet); Eli Dabney (trombone); John Richard Lewis, John Houston (piano); Gene Ammons (vocals, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); John Hunt (trumpet); J.J. Johnson , Matthew Gee, Bennie Green (trombone); Clarence "Sleepy" Anderson, Duke Jordan, Charles Bateman, Junior Mance, Bud Powell (piano); Wesley Landers, Jo Jones , Max Roach, Art Blakey, Shadow Wilson, Teddy Stewart (drums); Humberto Morales (timbales); Eli Dabney, Chippy Outcalt, Larry Townsend, Earl May, Ernie Shepard, Gene Wright, Joe Newman , Johnny Houston, Kenny Drew, Teddy Williams, Tommy Potter, Nelson Boyd.
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Harvey Pekar.
Recording information: New York, NY (10/17/1949-02/25/1952).
Photographers: Ted Williams ; Paul J. Hoeffler; Chuck Stewart.
Occasionally undervalued because his alto playing strongly resembled Charlie Parker's, saxophonist Sonny Stitt was no bebop knock-off. There were many musicians tilling the same soil in the mid 1940s, and though Stitt (who also played tenor) wasn't as innovative as Parker, he was most assuredly a cutting-edge bop player in his own right. STITT'S BITS collects Sonny-led sessions from 1949 to 1952, as well as sessions with groups led by J.J. Johnson, Bud Powell, and a combo co-led with Gene Ammons. These, along with astute booklet notes by writer and AMERICAN SPLENDOR icon Harvey Pekar, make BITS an essential block of jazz history.
Elmo HopeAll-Star Sessions (With John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Jimmy... (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
God Bless Jug and Sonny: Live at the Left Bank (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Just in Case You Forgot How Bad He Really Was (Live) (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE