Sonny Stitt Stitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD Box Set)
11 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$25.50 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.48 (15% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Sonny Stitt ~ The Last Sessions, Volumes 1 & 2 ~ $9.36
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Dizzy Gillespie / Sonny Rollins ~ Sonny Side Up ~ $23.27
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: July 25, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Prestige
JazzTimes - p.107"Sonny Stitt played on a higher level than 99 percent of all jazz saxophonists who've ever lived....An essential, even fascinating, document."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Afternoon in Paris - (Take 1)
- 2.Afternoon in Paris - (Take 2)
- 3.Elora - (Take 1)
- 4.Elora - (Take 2)
- 5.Teapot - (Take 1)
- 6.Teapot - (Take 2)
- 7.Blue Mode - (Take 1)
- 8.Blue Mode - (Take 2)
- 9.All God's Chillun Got Rhythm
- 10.Sonny Side
- 11.Bud's Blues
- 13.Strike Up the Band
- 14.Strike Up the Band - (alternate take, alternate)
- 15.I Want to Be Happy
- 16.Taking a Chance on Love
- 17.Fine and Dandy - (Take 1)
- 18.Fine and Dandy - (Take 2)
- 21.Ain't Misbehavin'
- 22.Mean to Me
- 23.Stairway to the Stars
- 24.Bye Bye
- 25.Let It Be
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Blues Up and Down - (Take 1)
- 2.Blues Up and Down - (Take 2)
- 3.Blues Up and Down - (Take 3)
- 4.You Can Depend on Me - (Take 1)
- 5.You Can Depend on Me - (Take 2)
- 6.Touch of the Blues
- 7.Dumb Woman Blues
- 9.Who Threw the Sleeping Pills in Rip Van Winkle's Coffee?
- 10.Gravy (aka Walkin')
- 11.Easy Glide
- 12.Count Every Star
- 13.Nice Work If You Can Get It
- 14.There Will Never Be Another You
- 16.Back in Your Own Back Yard
- 17.Sweet Jennie Lou
- 18.Vie en Rose, La
- 19.Seven Eleven
- 20.To Think You've Chosen Me
- 21.After You've Gone
- 22.Our Very Own
- 23.'S Wonderful
- 24.Stringin' the Jug
- 25.Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Jeepers Creepers
- 4.'Round About One A.M.
- 7.Blue and Sentimental
- 8.Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)
- 9.Can't We Be Friends
- 10.New Blues Up and Down
- 11.The Thrill of Your Kiss
- 12.If the Moon Turns Green
- 13.P.S. I Love You
- 14.This Can't Be Love
- 15.Down with It
- 16.For the Fat Man
- 20.(It Will Have to Do) Until the Real Thing Comes Along
- 21.Because of Rain
- 23.Cool Mambo
- 24.Sonny Sounds
- 25.Blue Mambo
- 26.Stitt's It
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sonny Stitt (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Teddy Williams, Larry Townsend (vocals); Joe Newman Quartet , Bill Massey (trumpet); Eli Dabney (trombone); John Richard Lewis, John Houston (piano); Gene Ammons (vocals, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); John Hunt (trumpet); J.J. Johnson , Matthew Gee, Bennie Green (trombone); Clarence "Sleepy" Anderson, Duke Jordan, Charles Bateman, Junior Mance, Bud Powell (piano); Wesley Landers, Jo Jones , Max Roach, Art Blakey, Shadow Wilson, Teddy Stewart (drums); Humberto Morales (timbales); Eli Dabney, Chippy Outcalt, Larry Townsend, Earl May, Ernie Shepard, Gene Wright, Joe Newman , Johnny Houston, Kenny Drew, Teddy Williams, Tommy Potter, Nelson Boyd.
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Harvey Pekar.
Recording information: New York, NY (10/17/1949-02/25/1952).
Photographers: Ted Williams ; Paul J. Hoeffler; Chuck Stewart.
Occasionally undervalued because his alto playing strongly resembled Charlie Parker's, saxophonist Sonny Stitt was no bebop knock-off. There were many musicians tilling the same soil in the mid 1940s, and though Stitt (who also played tenor) wasn't as innovative as Parker, he was most assuredly a cutting-edge bop player in his own right. STITT'S BITS collects Sonny-led sessions from 1949 to 1952, as well as sessions with groups led by J.J. Johnson, Bud Powell, and a combo co-led with Gene Ammons. These, along with astute booklet notes by writer and AMERICAN SPLENDOR icon Harvey Pekar, make BITS an essential block of jazz history.
Elmo HopeAll-Star Sessions (With John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Jimmy... (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 6) (2-CD)(2)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE