Nina Simone The Best of the Colpix Years
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Nina Simone ~ After Hours ~ $10.56
- by Nina Simone ~ Four Women: The Nina Simone Phillips Recordings (4-CD) ~ $38.65
- by Nina Simone ~ Nina: The Essential Nina Simone [Import] ~ $6.79
- by Nina Simone ~ Nina Simone and Piano! ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Nina Simone ~ Sings the Blues (180GV) ~ $22.50
- Released: March 16, 2015
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Parlophone (Wea)
- 1.Children Go Where I Send You
- 2.It Might as Well Be Spring
- 3.Willow Weep for Me
- 4.The Other Woman
- 5.Fine and Mellow
- 6.Wild Is the Wind
- 7.You Can Have Him
- 8.I Loves You, Porgy
- 9.Forbidden Fruit
- 10.Gin House Blues
- 11.Work Song
- 12.House of the Rising Sun
- 13.I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
- 15.It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
- 16.The Twelfth of Never
- 17.Baubles, Bangles and Beads
- 18.Gimme a Pigfoot (And a Bottle of Beer)
- 19.Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
Contains material Nina Simone recorded for the Coplix label in the early '60s. Includes three previously unreleased tracks.
Personnel: Nina Simone (vocals); Malcolm Dodd Singers (vocals); Al Schackman (guitar); Albert "Tootie" Heath, Montego Joe, Bobby Hamilton (drums).
Recording information: Carnegie Hall, New York, NY (1959-1963); New York, NY (1959-1963); Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI (1959-1963); Town Hall, New York, NY (1959-1963); Village Gate, New York, NY (1959-1963).
A collection of recordings that the inimitable Nina Simone made for the Colpix label early in her career, between 1959 and 1963. Simone excels on the many live cuts included here, accompanying herself on the piano with her trio, which features the intricately beautiful guitar work of Al Shackman.
Her treatment of Irving Berlin's "You Can Have Him" is transcendent and breathtaking. Even when she's gentle and tender, as in her classic version of "Wild Is the Wind," her passion always seethes under the surface. She is a master musician, and her tastes in material and arrangements are always eclectic, daring, and surprising. The 19 tracks here (two previously unreleased), run the gamut of jazz, folk, blues, and soul, providing a wonderful overview of her powerful artistry.
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$6.74 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE