Horace Silver Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers
Only 5 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.64 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Blue Note Records
- 1.Room 608
- 2.Creepin' In
- 3.Stop Time
- 4.To Whom It May Concern
- 6.The Preacher
Personnel: Horace Silver (piano); Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone); Kenny Dorham (trumpet); Doug Watkins (double bass); Art Blakey (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Ira Gitler; Bob Blumenthal.
In 1954, pianist Horace Silver teamed with drummer Art Blakey to form a cooperative ensemble that would combine the dexterity and power of bebop with the midtempo, down-home grooves of blues and gospel music. The results are what would become known as hard bop, and the Jazz Messengers were one of the leading exponents of this significant era in jazz history. Before Silver's departure and Blakey's lifetime of leadership, this first major session by the original Jazz Messengers set the standard by which future incarnations of the group would be measured. The tunes here are all Silver's, save the bopping "Hankerin'" by tenor man Hank Mobley. Such cuts as the opening "Room 608," the bluesy "Creepin' In," and "Hippy" are excellent examples of both Silver's creative composing style and the Messengers' signature sound. Of course, the most remembered tunes from the session are the classic "The Preacher" and "Doodlin'," two quintessential hard bop standards. In all, this set is not only a stunning snapshot of one of the first groups of its kind, but the very definition of a style that dominated jazz in the 1950s and '60s.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Jazz Instrument: Piano Music Categories:
- Muhal Richard Abrams Vision Towards Essence (Live) (CD) ~ $19.69 CYBER SALE
- Joey Alexander My Favorite Things (CD) ~ $13.48 CYBER SALE
- Monty Alexander Concrete Jungle: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~ $10.56 CYBER SALE
- Monty Alexander / Ernest Ranglin Rocksteady (CD) ~ $17.08 CYBER SALE
- Monty Alexander Stir It up: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~ $9.99 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Eddie Harris Versatile Eddie Harris / Sings The Blues (2-CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Herbie Mann Roar of The Greasepaint / Today (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE