- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: August 15, 2006
- Label: Telarc
- 1.Dancing In The Dark - (from "The Bandwagon")
- 2.Heather On The Hill - (from "Brigadoon")
- 3.Oh, Lady Be Good - (from "Lady Be Good!")
- 4.More Than You Know - (from "Great Day!")
- 5.Our Waltz
- 6.How Beautiful Is Night
- 7.Once Upon A Time
- 8.Days Gone By
- 9.Put On A Happy Face - (from "Bye Bye Birdie")
- 10.Haunted Ballroom - (from "The Haunted Ballroom")
- 11.Just Imagine - (from "Good News")
- 12.Surrey With The Fringe On Top, The - (from "Oklahoma!")
/Robert Farnon Orchestra.
Personnel includes: George Shearing (piano); Robert Farnon (conductor, arranger); Frank Ricotti (vibraphone, percussion); Louis Stewart (guitar); Neil Swainson (bass); Allan Ganley (drums).
Recorded at CTS Studios, Ltd., Wembley, Middlesex, England on September 17-19, 1992. Includes liner notes by Neil Tesser.
This is very much a mood music date as opposed to a jazz session. Pianist George Shearing always liked the overblown muzaky arrangements of Robert Farnon and was happy to play while backed (and sometime almost buried) by the string section. Actually Shearing is in superior form and is the only reason to acquire this otherwise erratic disc. Four songs out of the dozen bring back the sound (if not the same personnel) of the popular George Shearing Quintet and their success would lead to the pianist's next project being a full-length Quintet recording. But this particular CD is only recommended for George Shearing completists and listeners who really do enjoy the sound of a string section. ~ Scott Yanow