George Shearing Duets
11 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Tony Bennett ~ Viva Duets ~ $7.19
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 22, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Concord Records
- 1.I Could Write A Book - (with Mel Torme)
- 2.I Hear A Rhapsody - (with Jim Hall)
- 3.Body And Soul - (with Ernestine Anderson)
- 4.Lonely Moments - (with Hank Jones)
- 5.You're All I Need - (with Carmen McRae)
- 6.Alone Together - (with Marian McPartland)
- 7.It Might As Well Be Spring - (with Mel Torme)
- 8.Nobody Else But Me - (with Marian McPartland)
- 9.I'll Take Romance - (with Ernestine Anderson)
- 10.You Don't Know What Love Is - (with Hank Jones)
- 11.Too Late Now - (with Carmen McRae)
- 12.Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - (with Mel Torme)
- 13.Emily - (with Jim Hall)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: George Shearing (piano); Mel Torme, Ernestine Anderson, Carmen McRae (vocals); Hank Jones, Marian McPartland (piano); Jim Hall (guitar); Neil Swanson, Brian Torff (bass); Jeff Hamilton, Donny Osbourne (drums).
Recorded between 1980 & 1991. Includes liner notes by Fred Bouchard.
Personnel: George Shearing (piano); Ernestine Anderson, Mel Torm‚, Carmen McRae (vocals); Jim Hall (guitar); Hank Jones , Marian McPartland (piano); Jeff Hamilton , Donny Osborne (drums).
Liner Note Author: Fred Bouchard.
Record labels occasionally recycle older material for a number of reasons, some good and some not so good. Concord's logic has been simple: Why not compile an album around a specific aspect of an artist's style? Duets emphasizes pianist George Shearing's knack for accompanying singers, guitarists, and pianists in an intimate setting. The idea of only including duet material, however, isn't strictly adhered to. On the first cut, "I Could Write a Book," with Mel Torm‚, two other players join in, making the group a quartet. The cut nonetheless displays how well Shearing and Torm‚'s styles complement each other. There are other variations -- a trio and a quartet -- along the way, but this doesn't really detract from the theme. Among the strict duo pieces, there are lovely renderings of "I Hear a Rhapsody" and "Emily" with guitarist Jim Hall. Both players have a complementary light touch and their clean lines are the epitome of cool jazz. Pianist Hank Jones adds a bit of muscle on "Lonely Moments," resulting in heavy rhythms and joyful leads reminding one of ragtime and Fats Waller. "You Don't Know What Love Is" finds both pianists in a quieter, late-night mood, offering a smooth intertwining of lead and rhythm. There are also pairings with pianists Marian McPartland, and vocalists Carmen McRae and Ernestine Anderson. Duets gives the fan a chance to revisit a number of intimate Shearing recordings, while providing the casual jazz listener with a good introduction to a number of fine artists. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Play the Music of Cole Porter (with Barry Tuckwell) (CD)(6)
$9.05 Super Savings
Jazz Legends: Live at the Ambassador Auditorium, Pasadena... (DVD)
$11.10 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE