The Philadelphia Story (Special Edition) (2-DVD)
|You Save:||$10 (37% Off)|
- Disc One:
- Digitally Remastered Movie with Commentary by Film Historian Jeannine Basinger
- George Cukor Movie Trailer Gallery
- Subtitles: English, French & Spanish
- 2 Insightful Documentaries About the Star and Director: Katharine Hepburn: All About Me - A Self Portrait and The Men Who Made The Movies: George Cukor
- Robert Benchley Short That Inferior Feeling
- Cartoon The Homeless Flea
- Audio-Only Bonus: 2 Radio Adaptations Featuring the Movie's 3 Stars
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 1, 2005
- Originally Released: 1940
- Label: Warner Home Video
Disc 1: THE PHILADELPHIA STORY
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Audio Commentary - Jeanine Basinger - Film Historian
- Trailer - Movie Trailer Gallery
Disc 2: Special Features:
- Audio-Only Bonus: 2 Radio Adaptions Featuring The Movie's 3 Stars
- Bonus Short:
- Robert Benchley Short: THAT INFERIOR FEELING
- Cartoon: THE HOMELESS FLEA
- KATHARINE HEPBURN: ALL ABOUT ME - A SELF PORTRAIT
- THE MAN WHO MADE THE MOVIES: GEORGE CUKOR
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn & James Stewart|
|Performer:||Ruth Hussey, John Howard, Roland Young, John Halliday, Virginia Weidler, Henry Daniell, Lionel Pape & Rex Evans|
|Directed by||George Cukor|
|Edited by||Frank Sullivan|
|Screenwriting by||Donald Ogden Stewart|
|Composition by||Franz Waxman|
|Story by||Philip Barry|
|Produced by||Joseph L. Mankiewicz|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph Ruttenberg|
"Stewart won his first Oscar as idealistic hack Macaulay Connor."
"[A] near-perfect 1940 adaptation of Philip Barry's stage hit, which revved up Hepburn's career."
"Stewart won an Oscar, as did the screenplay, which crackles."
Ranked #12 in Uncut's Best DVDs Of 2005 -- "Katharine Hepburn's baby. The play was written for her, and she picked the director, George Cukor, and her co-star..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
After being labeled "box-office poison," Hepburn rekindled her stardom with a beguiling reprise of her 1939 Broadway role. Top-billed Grant demanded and got a then-colossal $137,000 salary - donating it to British War Relief. And Stewart won his only Best Actor Academy Award as the wisecracking scribe. (Writer Donald Ogden Stewart won the film's second Oscar for adapting Philip Barry's play). In 1998, Story's success story continued when it made the American Film Institute's 100 Best American Films list. This 2-Disc Special Edition includes many extras not found on the original DVD release.
Description by Warner Home Video:
- Theatrical release: December 1, 1940.
- THE PHILADELPHIA STORY is number 51 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Greatest Movies.
- THE PHILADELPHIA STORY was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1995.
- Academy Award-winner (Best Actor) Stewart said he voted for Henry Fonda's performance in OF MICE AND MEN that year.
- The film was nominated for six Oscars; besides Stewart's award, it won for Best Screenplay. Hepburn was nominated for Best Actress.
- Katharine Hepburn put up 25% of the original play's production budget and took no salary, but reaped a hefty 45% of profits on the Broadway hit.
- The film was remade in 1956 as the musical HIGH SOCIETY.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 179 ratings.
- UPC: 012569699021
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Zombiethon (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Action: The Delta Force / Delta Force 2 / Code of Silence (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.