Sonny Rollins No Problem
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: March 9, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: OJC
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone); Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone); Bobby Broom (electric guitar); Bob Cranshaw (electric bass); Tony Williams (drums).
Recorded at Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California from December 9-15, 1981.
Digitally remastered by Phil de Lancie (1999, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone); Bobby Broom (guitar, electric guitar); Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone); Bob Cranshaw (electric bass); Tony Williams (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Phil DeLancie.
Audio Remixers: Lucille Rollins; Richard Corsello.
Recording information: Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, CA (12/09/1981-12/16/1981).
Photographer: Phil Bray.
Tenor sax legend Rollins (who played with jazz giants Max Roach and Thelonious Monk in the 1950s) takes it easy here with a set of easy-listening style tunes. Many of the tunes have an appealing "island vacation" feel to them--note the warm, bouncy calypso feel of "Coconut Bread" and the strutting light funk of "Joyous Lake." "Jo Jo" reflects Rollins' 1960s freewheeling hard-bop jazz sound, and Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again" gets a playful workout. "Illusions" features some steely yet soulful ballad playing.
Rollins' playing is melodically direct, full-bodied and gently rollicking, and guitarist Bobby Broom and vibist Bobby Hutcherson provide a shimmering, dancing backdrop. Drummer Tony Williams (who played in the superb Miles Davis Quintet in the 1960s) provides what can be best described as a rocking swing beat. NO PROBLEM is not for the fans of the Rollins classics such as THE BRIDGE or EAST BROADWAY RUN-DOWN, but smooth jazz-fans who are hungry for a bit of grit would do well to check this out.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE