Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
12 copies available
|You Save:||$13 (87% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 17, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Grp Records
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Formerly available on Passport (88019).
This was released in Japan under the title of "Moon Riding" by the group "Cruise Control".
Personnel: Russ Freeman (guitar, electric guitar, keyboards, guitar synthesizer, programming); Kenny G (soprano saxophone); Brandon Fields (alto saxophone); David Benoit (piano); Gregg Karukas (keyboards); Dave Koz (EWI); Tony Morales (drums, cymbals, percussion); Steve Reid (drums, percussion, programming).
Audio Mixers: Steve Reid ; Russ Freeman .
Recording information: Juniper Studios, Glendale CA (1987).
Released in 1986, this album not only stands as a genre-defining primer on what has become known as smooth jazz, but it also helped launch the careers of various artists whose music has been crucial to the genre's vitality. In addition to composer/guitarist/producer Russ Freeman and the Ripps, there's David Benoit (playing a gorgeous piano melody on "Mirage"), keyboardist Gregg Karukas, bassist Jimmy Johnson (who scored hits with Flim & the BBs), saxmen Brandon Fields and Dave Koz (whose floating Electronic Wind Instrument melody guides the silky "Dreams"), and some soprano-wielding guy named Kenny G. One of the G-man's least cloying -- and indeed, most engaging -- performances can be heard on the lilting, Calypso-influenced "She Likes to Watch." (One of Freeman's best tunes, it continues to get heavy airplay.) The opening, six-minute title track -- a guitar-driven, light funk tune that weaves percussionist Steve Reid's nature soundscaping and exotic sound effects with a hypnotic synth melody -- epitomizes the kind of smooth texturing for which the Rippingtons became famous. While the band's personnel has evolved, the best tunes on the Ripps' more recent recordings still feature Freeman jamming on guitars and Reid brewing up just the right amount of aggression and subtlety with his toys. The all-star personnel alone makes this a must-hear all these years later. The fact that it still holds up melodically, rhythmically, and production-wise makes it one of smooth jazz's most important and enjoyable recordings. ~ Jonathan Widran
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 124
- UPC: 011105960526
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Alisha Bounce Back (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Marc Almond Tenement Symphony (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs Product Series:
- 3-2 Get Funky The Return of the Funky Ones (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- The 3rd Edition Acappella Memories - Long Island Style (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- A Voyage to the Rain Forest (1998) A Voyage to the Rain Forest (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin 20 Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $14.98 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Love Makes a Woman (CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE