Art Pepper The Way It Was!
Only 6 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 5, 1989
- Label: OJC
- 1.I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me
- 2.I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me - (alternate take, bonus track)
- 3.All the Things You Are
- 4.All the Things You Are - (alternate take, bonus track)
- 5.What's New?
- 6.Tickle Toe
- 7.The Man I Love
- 8.Autumn Leaves
- 9.The Way You Look Tonight
Personnel: Art Pepper (alto saxophone); Wayne Marsh (tenor saxophone); Ronnie Ball, Red Garland, Dolo Coker, Wynton Kelly (piano); Ben Tucker, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Bond (bass); Gary Frommer, Philly Joe Jones, Frank Butler, Jimmy Cobb (drums).
Recorded between 1956 & 1960. Originally released on Contemporary (7630).
Personnel: Art Pepper (alto saxophone); Warne Marsh (tenor saxophone); Dolo Coker, Red Garland, Ronnie Ball, Wynton Kelly (piano); Frank Butler, Gary Frommer, Jimmy Cobb , Philly Joe Jones (drums).
Liner Note Author: Art Pepper.
Recording information: Contemporary's Studio, Los Angeles, CA (11/26/1956-11/23/1960).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Dolo Coker; Frank Butler; Gary Frommer; Jimmy Bond; Jimmy Cobb ; Paul Chambers; Philly Joe Jones; Red Garland; Ronnie Ball; Warne Marsh; Wynton Kelly; Ben Tucker.
Despite his very erratic lifestyle, altoist Art Pepper never made a bad record. This collection is better than most. The first four titles team together Pepper with tenor saxophonist Warne Marsh, pianist Ronnie Ball, bassist Ben Tucker, and drummer Gary Frommer for generally intriguing explorations of four standards. One can feel the influence of Lennie Tristano (with Pepper in Lee Konitz's place), although Pepper had his own sound and a more hard-swinging style. The success of the Pepper-Marsh front line makes one wish that they had recorded together again. The other three selections are leftovers from a trio of classic Pepper albums, and all are quite worthwhile. Pepper is heard backed by three separate rhythm sections, which include pianists Red Garland, Dolo Coker, or Wynton Kelly; either Paul Chambers or Jimmy Bond on bass; and Philly Joe Jones, Frank Butler, or Jimmy Cobb on drums. Overall, this album sticks to bop standards and finds Art Pepper in top form. ~ Scott Yanow
Super Sax: Art Pepper, Yusef Lateef & Pepper Adams (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE