Warner Archive Collection (series)
Louise is a most appealing type of person -- a warm, intelligent woman who loses her heart to a charming ne'er-do-well who marries, then deserts her.
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 1, 2011
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Errol Flynn & Bette Davis|
|Performer:||Lee Patrick, Beulah Bondi, Anita Louise, Donald Crisp, Ian Hunter & Jane Bryan|
|Directed by||Anatole Litvak|
|Edited by||Warren Low|
|Screenwriting by||Milton Krims|
|Composition by||Max Steiner & Leo F. Forbstein|
|Cinematography by||Tony Gaudio|
|Art Direction by||Carl Jules Weyl|
|Story by||Myron Brinig|
|Produced by||David Lewis|
Description by OLDIES.com:
"I was delighted with this part because it was a change of pace," Bette Davis said about playing Louise Elliott in The Sisters. "I was always challenged by a new type of person to play." Louise is a most appealing type of person, a warm, intelligent woman who loses her heart to a charming ne'er-do-well (Errol Flynn, in his first film with Davis) who marries, then deserts her. It takes the pandemonium of the San Francisco earthquake and two years of heartache to reunite them. Anita Louise and Jane Bryan co-star as Louise's sisters, whose own marital trials add more hankies to this prestige melodrama bookended by the 1904 and 1908 Presidential elections and enriched by a nod to the dawning women's movement.
Adapted from the 1937 novel by Myron Brinig, THE SISTERS is a historical melodrama that looks at four years in the lives of three Montana sisters during the early 20th century. Helen (Anita Louise) wants only to marry, have children, and live and die in her hometown. Meanwhile, her headstrong sister, Grace (Jane Bryan), marries an older man for money and fortune. However, the third sister, Louise (Bette Davis in a soft, sympathetic role), is the most lovely and intelligent. Engaged to marry the town's most eligible bachelor, Louise instead runs off with Frank Medlin (Errol Flynn), a charming, misguided sportswriter who wants to write the Great American Novel. No sooner does Louise follow him to San Francisco than she learns Frank has a drinking problem and a restless heart and can't seem to pull his life together even though he desperately loves her. When the Great Earthquake hits, Louise's life literally comes tumbling down around her. Director Anatole Litvak's dramatic and powerfully acted film deals with themes of inner strength, the bond between sisters, and unconditional love.
Director Anatole Litvak's THE SISTERS follows the lives of three very different sisters living during the early 20th century.
- Director William Dieterle turned down the offer to direct this story.
- Two endings were shot for the film. The producers used the one that test audiences preferred, which differed from that of the novel.
- Irene Dunne was the first choice for the role of Louise (played by Bette Davis). Frederic March was the first choice for the part of Frank (played by Errol Flynn).
- The film used stock footage of the earthquake from the 1927 movie OLD SAN FRANCISCO.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$13.34 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- Lighthouse (1947) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Reflections in a Golden Eye [Thinpak] (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Death of a Prophet / Get Christie Love! (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection (The Red Dragon / The Feathered Serpent / The Sky Dragon) (2-Disc) (DVD-R) ~ $21.32 on SALE
- Hal Roach's Early Pathe Comedies (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Night of Medusa (2016) / Slave Girls on the Moon (2014) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Climax! Volume 1 - The Volcano Seat/Scream in Silence (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE