Thelonious Monk The Complete Blue Note Recordings (4-CD Box Set)
|You Save:||$9.20 (16% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (4 Discs)
- by Thelonious Monk ~ The Complete Prestige Recordings (3-CD Box Set) ~ $24.19
- by Thelonious Monk ~ The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (6-CD) ~ $35.46
- by John Coltrane ~ The Heavyweight Champion: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (7-CD Box Set) ~ $98.98
- by Miles Davis ~ Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series, Volume 2 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- by Sir Charles Thompson ~ Takin' Off ~ $10.77
- Number of Discs: 4
- Released: October 1, 1994
- Label: Blue Note Records
Rolling Stone - 12/29/94-1/12/95, p.180"...All the parts that make up his musical identity--the rhythmically fractured piano lines, the fascinating harmonies and gorgeously skewed melodies--were [already] in place..."
Musician - 1-2/95, p.76"...His playful melodies and distinct rhythmic approach blew minds in his time; now that his innovations have been embraced so widely, his musical personality--an utterly appealing mix of romance, intellectualism and cultivated eccentricity--shines through..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Evonce - (alternate take)
- 4.Suburban Eyes
- 5.Suburban Eyes - (alternate take)
- 7.Nice Work If You Can Get It - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 8.Nice Work If You Can Get It
- 9.Ruby My Dear - (previously unreleased)
- 10.Ruby My Dear
- 11.Well You Needn't
- 12.Well You Needn't - (previously unreleased)
- 13.April In Paris - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 14.April In Paris
- 15.Off Minor
- 17.In Walked Bud
- 18.Monk's Mood
- 19.Who Knows
- 20.Round Midnight
- 21.Who Knows - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.All The Things You Are
- 2.I Should Care - (alternate take)
- 3.I Should Care
- 6.Misterioso - (alternate take)
- 8.I Mean You
- 9.Four In One
- 10.Four In One - (alternate take)
- 11.Criss Cross
- 12.Criss Cross - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 14.Straight No Chaser
- 15.Ask Me Now - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 16.Ask Me Now
- 17.Willow Weep for Me
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 2.Skippy - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 3.Hornin' In - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 4.Hornin' In
- 5.Sixteen - (previously unreleased, 1st take)
- 6.Sixteen - (previously unreleased, 2nd take)
- 7.Carolina Moon
- 8.Let's Cool One
- 9.I'll Follow You - (previously unreleased)
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.Crepuscule With Nellie - (live)
- 2.Trinkle Tinkle - (live)
- 3.In Walked Bud - (live)
- 4.I Mean You - (live)
- 5.Epistrophy - (live)
Personnel: Thelonious Monk (piano); Kenny "Pancho" Hagood (vocals); Danny Quebec West, Sahib Shihab, Lou Donaldson (alto saxophone); Sonny Rollins, Lucky Thompson, John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Idrees Sulieman, George Taitt, Kenny Dorham (trumpet); J.J. Johnson (trombone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Horace Silver (piano); John Simmons, Gene Ramey, Al McKibbon, Paul Chambers, Ahmed Abdul-Malik, Bob Paige, Nelson Boyd (bass); Art Blakey, Max Roach, Shadow Wilson, Roy Haynes (drums).
Producers include: Alfred Lion.
Compilation producer: Michael Cuscuna.
Engineers: Doug Hawkins, Harry Smith, Rudy Van Gelder, Naima Coltrane.
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on April 14, 1957; live at the Five Spot, New York, New York on September 11, 1958; Apex Studios, New York, New York on July 2, 1948; WOR Studios, New York, New York between October 15, 1947 and May 30, 1952. Includes liner notes by Bob Blumenthal.
Personnel: Thelonious Monk (piano); Kenny "Pancho" Hagood (vocals); Lou Donaldson, Sahib Shihab, Danny Quebec West (alto saxophone); Billy Smith , John Coltrane, Lucky Thompson, Sonny Rollins, Bill Smith (tenor saxophone); Idrees Sulieman, Kenny Dorham, George Taitt (trumpet); J.J. Johnson (trombone); John Lewis, Horace Silver (piano); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Max Roach, Art Blakey, Shadow Wilson (drums).
Liner Note Author: Bob Blumenthal.
Recording information: Apex Studios, New York, NY (10/15/1947-04/14/1957); Five Spot, New York, NY (10/15/1947-04/14/1957); Van Gelder Studios, Hackensack, NJ (10/15/1947-04/14/1957); WOR STudios, New York, NY (10/15/1947-04/14/1957).
For those fans and collectors who don't already own GENIUS OF MODERN MUSIC VOLUMES 1 & 2, MILT JACKSON, SONNY ROLLINS VOLUME 2, or DISCOVERY!, this 4-CD box offers a chronological compendium of Thelonious Monk's works as a leader and sideman for Blue Note. It features all the masters and alternate takes from his breakthrough 1947, '51 and '52 sessions; his memorable '48 and '57 collaborations with Milt Jackson and Sonny Rollins; and a remarkable home recording of a Five Spot set with Roy Haynes and the emerging tenor titan John Coltrane.
The live Five Spot set captures Monk during one of his long residencies at the Lower East Side bar which served as home during his triumphant return to the NYC club scene. Coltrane plays with torrential intensity on "Trinkle Tinkle" and controlled grace on "In Walked Bud." On the latter, Monk's solo makes stunning use of space to create tension, ending with celestial two-handed chords, while "I Mean You" is a two-handed self-portrait in rhythm-n-ing.
Monk's 1948 performances with vibraphonist Milt Jackson rank among the all-time greats in jazz. They never play the theme directly on "Evidence," but as a series of spooky, skeletal echoes in which the melody is the sum total of their rhythmic abstractions. The clash of intervals on his masterful blues "Misterioso" is even more ghostly, as Monk and Jackson play ping-pong with the melody, while Monk's secondary theme on "Epistrophy" emphasizes the percussive bell-like timbre of the vibes. The joyous "I Mean You" is Monk at his most song-like--singing, strumming and soaring over Shadow Wilson's supple Kansas City 4/4 pulse with the bluesy elan of Charlie Christian. And Monk's 1957 performances of "Reflections" with Sonny Rollins, Paul Chambers and Art Blakey point out the enormous influence the composer had over the tenor colossus in matters of time, tone, tempo and thematic development.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!