Hank Mobley Dippin
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 21, 2006
- Label: EMI Mod Afw
- 1.The Dip
- 2.Recado Bossa Nova
- 3.The Break Through
- 4.The Vamp
- 5.I See Your Face Before Me
Personnel: Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Harold Mabern (piano); Larry Ridley (bass); Billy Higgins (drums).
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on June 18, 1965. Includes liner notes by Ira Gitler.
Personnel: Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone); Lee Morgan (trumpet); Harold Mabern (piano); Larry Ridley (upright bass); Billy Higgins (drums).
Liner Note Author: Bob Blumenthal.
With DIPPIN', Hank Mobley is clearly entrenched in his "hard" period, as his more muscular, yet still round, tone and his penchant for funky grooves dominate the session. As on many other Mobley sides, Lee Morgan and Billy Higgins return to lend their respective touches, which once started the flame burning with Morgan's "The Sidewinder." Pianist Harold Mabern and bassist Larry Ridley round out the group. It is Mobley, however, who blows strongest here, strengthened by a long string of powerful dates like this one.
Like most post-"Sidewinder" Blue Note dates, DIPPIN' kicks off with a near-rip-off of the popular Morgan hit from 1963. Here, "The Dip" satisfies the requisite funkiness with a spirited quasi-Latin beat from Higgins and a Horace Silver-esque melody. The following "Recado Bossa Nova," one of the session's most memorable cuts, captures the Brazilian style that caused such a stir with equal amounts of taste and bluesy grunge. Later, the date's only ballad, the classic "I See Your Face Before Me," offers a respite with one of Mobley's smokiest performances on record. Finally, the closer "Ballin'" is a joyous waltz that ends the session on a swinging blast.
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 9) (2-CD)
$10.56 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE